Alan Sondheim on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:30:07 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> flattening and epistemo-ontological differences

flattening and epistemo-ontological differences

i move between epistemology and ontology without even recognising the
difference, since for me conceptual necessity equals natural necessity. an
interesting case of confusion of ontology and epistemology is hermeneu-
tics. since for me conceptual necessity equals natural necessity in this
respect, epistemology cannot be investigated without regard to what there
is. metaphysics, or alternatively ontology, is that branch of philosophy
where the central concept of feminist epistemology is that of a situated
knower. in order to make any progress in epistemology or ontology, i
claim, one assumes that, belief in god is like our belief that two plus
two equals four. ontology is the study of what there is, two useful
additions are functions and predicate functionals. and so, we place the
study of epistemology immediately before ontology. this would be where
epistemology equals ontology, knowing = being. this would be the pearl of
great price, if satan were interpreted as duality. epistemology is the
study of how we know what we know. ontological issues revolve around the
nature of the phenomenon we are seeking to know. epistemology is the
philosophical theory of knowledge, ie, the study of knowledge. ontology is
the theory of the nature of being and existence, ie, the application of
knowledge to epistemology. contemporary cognitive psychology ignores both
epistemology and ontology. a claim which is commonly made is that the
science of cognition is concerned with a convenient overarching rubric of
philosophical concerns; however, it is the triad of axiology, epistemol-
ogy, and metaphysics/ontology that formulate its absolute foundation,
flattening. lets distinguish first between epistemology and ontology.
epistemology studies the nature of knowledge which actually means how we
conceive our existence. lets distinguish first between epistemology and
ontology. epistemology studies the nature of knowledge which actually
means how we conceive our essence as well. nevertheless, i wish to do so.