Bill Spornitz on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:21:39 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Modest Proposal

Yo;

a thought: We web-folk, we love our web, and sometimes we look at the text-folk
who live next door and think "look at them, plucking away at their Hermes
3000's... what they need is a bit of the ol' web!" so, during over-the-fence
conversation, we good-naturedly mention an opensource collaborative filter
module or two, collaboratively being written in Rails and being group-improved
at a geometric rate, as we speak, and would they ever like it it's so k3wl and
l33t... their eyes glaze over.. Bruce, you could write this scene better than
I!

another thought: Once, while directing an epic at the local planetarium on the
subject of time and space, I had to manage a group of Actors, the lot of which
had to cover various show-times and script improvements over the course of the
3 month run (we love our Planetarium shows up here, as you know) so I built
them a little php-powered web Forum and showed them all how to use it; it was
the perfect solution to co-ordinating all of this showbiz and they posted a
total of 4 messages over the three months, most of them of the variety: "Is
this thing on?"... IOW - the web didn't work for them.

I agree that the "moderation whining" is tedious; we've seen it before. I also
agree that their obstacle is structural in nature. My recent Community College
DBA training tells me this: they need some Systems Analysis.

... but there's no time for that. The last couple times this discussion cameup,
I think I said something like:

-> How about plugging some infrastructure into the input stream BEFORE it gets
to the moderators - like a group moderation engine that could entertain those
who enjoy such things, with it's own output for those who enjoy that kind of
thing... the royal moderators could then take the stream that comes out of that
engine and perhaps be able to leverage whatever Knowledge that process was able
to glean from analyzing the input stream to help provide the classic nettime
list experience for those who prefer that. (me)

But, maybe that's (sort-of) what we are seeing come out of the event in
Montreal. A group tapping into the input stream before it gets to the
moderation.

(Sorry  for all the typing; my step-daughter is practising her Bach as I type
this and I am enjoying typing along in time with her....)

The tomatoes are well

-b

> From: Bruce Sterling <bruces@well.com>
> Date: 2006/06/17 Sat AM 04:00:37 CDT
> To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
> Subject: <nettime> A Modest Proposal
>
> John Battelle, the "band manager" for the explosively popular
> boingboing.net, is considering installing a collaborative web filter
> on his blog "Searchblog."
 <...>