Geert Lovink on Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:29:48 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Support Iraqi Bloggers-Interview with Cecile Landman (Streamtime)

Support Iraqi Bloggers
Interview with Cecile Landman
By Geert Lovink

Cecile Landman is a Dutch freelance investigative journalist, who
specializes in the facts behind the news. One of the areas she
researches and works in is Italy, a country she is passionate about.
Cecile has often said to me that she was born in the wrong part of
Europe as her energetic character does not resonate well with the cold,
Calvinist Dutch, and their similar meteorological condition. Yet, the
Italian language and lifestyle can also be a culture that one inhabits
and carries around, no matter where you are. And that's what Celice
does, when she logs on the Net. Since mid 2004 Cecile is in daily
contact with Iraqi bloggers. Together with founder Jo van der Spek,
Cecile forms the spill of Streamtime, an international support campaign
for new media initiatives in Iraq. The work of Streamtime goes back to
the nineties 'tactical media' concepts and initiatives, in particular
Press Now, an Amsterdam-based support campaign for independent media in
former Yugoslavia, founded in 1993. The scene around Press Now, closely
connected to Internet provider xs4all and cultural centre De Balie, is
also known for its efforts to keep the Belgrade radio station/Internet
initiative and cultural hotspot B92 in the air and online, in
particular during the Kosovo war and the NATO bombings of Serbia in
1999.

Fast-forward four, five years and the situation looks pretty different.
Efforts to support independent media and Internet initiatives in Iraq
after the US-led invasion of 2003 have been quickly aborted because of
hostage taking, killings and car bombs. One year after their arrival,
NGOs and aid agencies had to pull out. Government agencies and
foundations refused to allocate financial resources because they judged
the situation too risky. By late 2004 hardly any media support work
could be done inside Iraq anymore, even for the cynical reasons that
added to the risks involved and the paucity of financial support,
travel insurance had simply (and perhaps ironically) become insanely
expensive. Workshops like the ones done by the Berlin-based group
Streamminister have been held in Amman, Jordan since. After initial
funding which was provided by, amongst others, the HIVOS Foundation,
Streamtime no longer has any financial support or funding. In response
to the deteriorating security situation, Streamtime gradually started
to focus on online support of Iraqi bloggers, inside or outside the
country. What Cecile shares with many of her Italian friends and
colleagues is a warm interest in power structures behind the media
spectacle. In the case of Italy we only need to mention the mafia,
banks, the army, the Vatican and the P2 loge, and not to forget as
well, of course, various fascist leagues. Enough to investigate--and a
good school for spin watchers.

GL: Cecile, could you describe us how an average blogging day of yours
looks? Do you visit sites and follow links? How do you store and
process all the information you find?

CL: When I get up I start up the computer and the coffee machine
simultaneously. Firstly I'd check some sites of the various bloggers
that I am most curious about and familiar with. I am interested in
their personal lives, but also how they write, how they play with
different writing styles, and concepts of what 'information'
constitutes according to them. I am looking for amazing stories and
styles, not necessarily those that are most likely to reach mainstream
media, but stories that can give insight how 'the Iraqi soul' is
developing through all they're being confronted with, the immense and
so destructive daily economical, political, military and every day
violence. On a daily basis I'd visit at least a dozen Iraqi blogs. In
addition, I check some specific Italian as well as international media
sites, or specific news sites, varying from the big press-agencies to
GNN (Guerilla News Network) to some more personal preferred ones, just
for fun. I occasionally visit a Dutch site. There are also days that I
visit no more than ten sites and that's it.

Visiting Iraqi blogs has become an evolving ritual, together with but
not necessarily parallel to the developments in the broader Iraqi
blogosphere. I know quite a few inside stories from the Iraqi
blogosphere and not all of them can be shared. Secrecy is absolutely
inevitable. Through chats and bloggers who I have met personally, my
insights also change and as a consequence some bloggers, in my eyes,
have become 'mainstream' bloggers who I rarely visit anymore. Others
are starting to provoke, or in 'the beginning' had a serious blog, then
developed more provocative sites, sometimes alongside their more
mainstream and less personally informative blog(s) and started to write
more provocatively. Through different ways of writing they're testing
what reactions they get onto their posts. Given the history of Iraq,
this is already incredibly surprising. To me it is as if someone who
was not allowed to talk, or use his vocals cords, for long, long years
is finding ways to begin to talk with the outside world. Now they
started communicating with the outside.

When I first joined Streamtime, in June 2004, I followed a lot of Iraqi
blogs AND their comment sections. That seemed the place where it all
happened back then. Comments on one posting could run into the
hundreds. Daily. Or to be more precise: nightly. What was most striking
were the violent tones and attitudes in those debates. I was
flabbergasted, and at the same time most fascinated. Also horrified. I
started to mingle and join these discussions, with the aim to promote
Streamtime, get involved and make some waves. I stopped doing that.
Most of the time it gave the feeling of being smashed on the head with
a baseball stickbat. "Masochism" said Iraqi Raed Jarrar and his Irani
girlfriend Niki to me, both bloggers when they visited Amsterdam in
November 2004. However, I learned a lot from the comment sections, and
from there I followed a lot of links, of which 75% were crap, but the
rest were useful. I store most of what I find and shouldn't forget to
mention that it is all publicly stored on the Streamtime site itself,
although Streamtime doesn't have a search option. Other stuff goes to
the Xer-files-blog, private mailboxes and a 'good' folder. The rest
is stored and processed in my mind, and comes back in chats with other
I-bloggers.

GL: How do blogging and investigative journalism relate? At a first
glance, they look oppositional, potentially supplementary practices.
Whereas the investigative journalist works for months, if not years, to
uncover a story, bloggers more look more like an army of ants that
contribute to the great hive called 'public opinion'. Bloggers prefer
to post comments and rarely add new facts to a story. How do you look
at this relation from the perspective of the investigative journalist?

You are one of a very few that combine the two activities. Is blogging
a secondary activity? Is it is useful anyway to create such hierarchies?

CL: Journalists, and certainly the investigative types, need to make a
living too. They can't put just anything on-line. Bloggers don't seem
to bother too much about this, and that does create a conflict. Indeed,
I work in both worlds. On my Xer-files blog I link to jokes and
side-information that I can't post on the Streamtime site. Rarely,
however, do I write an entry on it. I use my personal blog as a
'megaphone' for issues that I find interesting to store, like a public
library.

I started my blog almost by accident. I wanted to leave a comment on an
Iraqi blog, but to do that I had to identify myself as a blogger.
Having obtained my blogger ID, I  immediately had a blog of my own,
which was (and still is) primarily read by Iraqis and linked to Iraqi
sites. At first, I tried to use it to link information from
ex-Yugoslavia,  -- about cartoonists and humor from Belgrade, stories
about first web-experiences and information exchange in ex-Yugoslavia
during the 90s war -- and make this material and information available
for Iraqi readers. The blog was also used as a back-up for Streamtime
when this site was cracked.

Interestingly enough blogging is changing existing formats for
information dissemination. As  people are increasingly bored and
frustrated over a broader spectrum of conventional journalism, and
traditional news formats; they don't catch up with the news anymore, it
no longer glues on their cervical memory stick. It is like a song that
you have listened to too often, or rather perhaps it is like an
incessant commercial advertisement: you hear it, you can even sing the
words, but they are without meaning. Mainstream media start to grasp
this. They have begun to search for new formats in order to attract
readers (read: advertisers).

This is especially visible in the trend towards 'infotainment'. The
impact of the advertisement industry on information is palpable.
Taking, as an, and seen from for example the Italian media/political
perspective this recipe doesn't make people more clever or intelligent.

In fact, I heard (but didn't check, so I didn't post about it) that
about 69% of the Italian populace has returned to being illiterate
because they don't read anymore and only watch TV. Link this factoid
with the fact that Italian TV is politically abused by premier
Berlusconi and his mates and you get a strange picture, indeed.

At the same time, blog-reading and writing has become popular because
it is  personal. I would say it is a positive development that people
read each others commentaries on the news or on local developments.
Because of the personal factor in blogging you don't have to bother
about objectivity, a blog is subjective by its very nature. On blogs
comments can be left, and by this, it leaves the one-way communication
media-concept and becomes a tool for communication, discussions,
quarrels, a lot of nonsense, and more.

We have to distinguish between various 'blogospheres'. If you take a
look around at Global Voices, the differences are obvious. There are
for instance the so-called 'pajama-bloggers' in the USA. Whereas
journalists are a kind of 'army' that (should) control the powers to
be, bloggers started to 'control' the journalist-media. Given the
conditions under which mainstream media operate this can, potentially,
only be a good development.

But who controls the quality of the blog posts? And where walks the
journalist out and the blogger peeps in? I'd say, this occurs through
research of the used sources. Bloggers I post about on Streamtime are
nearly all people I chat and mail with regularly. I 'know' them. So I
know their information can be trusted. I use my blog and the Streamtime
site in every possible way to get information out that otherwise
probably won't be 'out' there. I don't bother too much about copyright.
That's luxury journalism and information on Iraq can't afford. But I do
my journalistic research over the sources and the information, and I
mix bloggers information with articles by heavy-weight journalists that

I consider valuable, and who are in the Iraqi region. So it is a
two-way situation, the Streamtime blog is as well as much about making
information available to 'the West' as it is about providing various
information to Iraqi bloggers.

I had one good experience in which journalism (good journalism is
always investigative) and blogging came together. It was research on
the 'nowthatsfuckedup.com' site. On this site porn pictures were put
together with war images from Afghanistan and Iraq. One title for one
of the war pics was 'cooked Iraqi' and indeed it was an image of a
burned body with grinning US soldiers around it, holding their thumbs
up. With Haitham Sabbah, a blogger on JordanPlanet, we (almost in an
apart-together fashion) shared our research and information, and
indeed, it was picked up, not long after, by mainstream newspapers in
the US. That article, btw. did not refer to the bloggers who were
source material for their article, because otherwise they would find
themselves in trouble regarding copyright.

I find that I am hip-hopping, trying to connect complex worlds. Giving
feedback to the postings of Iraqi bloggers, and provide them with
journalistic advice e.g. their writing and suggest subjects they could
take up. I want the Iraqi bloggers to be as good as good journalists
can be, while at the same time I don't want them to lose their personal
factor in their writings. I am not getting paid for this work, I simply
find it too important. So money is not an item indeed for the blogger
I've become...  but the journalist in me is hungry! (A hungry
journalist is an angry journalist).

GL: The world of Iraqi blogging must be intense, tragic, encouraging,
and pretty powerful at the same time. How do you and others deal with
all the emotions on the line and to the surface?

CL: Through a great sense of humor, actually. One of them, The Konfused
Kid, described it yesterday like this "sweet black humor, last
defense." Without black humor I don't know if I would have been able to
continue with Streamtime. It is essential. I make fun with Iraqi
bloggers and I love their sharp observations, their wide-open minds.
This also happens as well with the Iraqis that I have come to know in
The Netherlands. They are poets, writers, painters, actors. Iraqis
remind me of people from Naples who are theatrical, loud, rumor makers.

They gesticulate a lot with their arms. They discuss and dance. They
are warm people. They are also all harmed, scarred, violated. It is
difficult. Sometimes I feel exhausted from having processed war
information from this position  since a year and a half. On the other
side, I find it not only important for the Iraqi people I am doing this
with. Observing developments in The Netherlands, and Europe, the
Iraq-case is important for a number of reasons. I consider the
communication between people in Iraq and 'our worlds' of extreme
importance.

How to deal with the emotions, though? I sometimes cry, or scream. At
other times laugh about it all. But when I notice that people on the
other side of the line are sinking into despair, I have no choice but
to cheer them up. What is difficult is when I realize they tell me with
not so many words that they don't talk about very rotten war events
anymore, the chains of kidnappings, lack of electricity and so forth.

In some way, maybe we are all  afraid that it is all just the same
story as yesterday and the days and weeks, months even years before.
Who wouldn't get bored with that? Same number or more dead in one day,
does it matter? Numbers are still not being counted. "Who cares?!"
The thought that the Iraqis might become isolated once again is utterly
unbearable. Sometimes, when someone in Iraq has a burnout, quits
blogging and stops telling stories, I try to call them back, phone,
mail, try to call in chat. And in the meantime I search for other
stories on the web, in an attempt for other input that might be just a
cartoon I put online. Some come back blogging, others don't, or they do
so irregularly, but they do knock on my chat-door.

GL: Is there a way to keep cool under so much stress of conspiracy,
secret service activity and media involvement?

CL: No, but I try to manage, although it can get on my nerves, like
today. I just read a posting from Emigre. She started the Iraq Blog
Count from Australia. Like me she is not Iraqi. So I do see some
similarities with my situation. She wrote that she found a transmitting
device in her home, that wasn't hers. If it is what she thinks it is,
then I wouldn't be that surprised, but the paranoia factor definitely
gets reinvigorated. I can imagine being 'followed' by 'they know who
they are'. On the other hand, not speaking up, not to continue doing
this..., that would be a worse option.

I can see mainstream media =96in particular US, and UK-based newspapers
and agencies- changing their attitude towards the bloggers. In The
Netherlands however, Streamtime and its contacts in Iraq continue to be
neglected, even though Dutch media complain that they don't have
reporters on the ground. I hear from people in Iraq that they have been
asked to write for US newspapers, which some of them would like to do.
Tough hey remain fearful that this would become known in Iraq, which
could mean their death.

GL: Late 2004 Streamtime gave up to working in Iraq itself. It became
too dangerous. What does that mean for you? Do you look at blogging as
a last resort?

CL: Yes and no. Switching from web radio workshops inside Iraq to
blogging 'with Iraq' has shown itself to be a new starting point with
unpredictable outcomes. The network of Iraqi bloggers is fragile, but
it has begun to consolidated by now. Emigre's work on Iraq Blog Count
proved to be essential. Streamtime played an important role in bringing
some people together in- and outside Iraq, namely by supporting ideas
of independent media inside Iraq, independent opinion forming, opening
access points towards experiences in 'the West' with independent media,
especially on the Web, which seems essential to me.

GL: Could you give us an insight into what is being discussed in the
Iraqi blogosphere, apart from responses to suicide bombs, military
attacks by occupied forces and political events?

CL: Sex, love and rock 'n roll. Ways to get out of the country, to
build up another life. Ways of contacting each other. Styles of
writing. Electricity and connectivity failures. The fact of just having
escaped from an explosion or fire-fights on the street. Fast changes
within the Iraqi society. Iraqi politicians, clerics and Americans.
University practices. Random chats with taxi-drivers, in which the most
important tension is not to make yourself known, or give a clear
opinion, but occasionally a real discussion in a taxi does take place.
Changing conditions for women. Religion. Fears and angers. Some young
kids post pictures of cats. The behavior of children, or how parents
can (not) protect their children. Tribal communities trying to organize
on local levels. Media. The sandstorms. Or about humor, one of the
bloggers recently told me this: "We are becoming more serious. Getting
more gloomy and moody because of our unknown future. We joke but it's
not as sincere as before. Jokes come out everyday. You should read
'Shalash al Iraqi'. You'll never find such black humor anywhere in the
world though I doubt if you can understand it, even though it is
translated. It contains heavy Iraqi slang."

GL: What do you make of the fact that more and more Iraqis are blogging
from outside of the country? So many Iraqis live in exile, and have
been for so long. Blogging and Diaspora communities seem to almost
operate in tandem.

CL: More and more Iraqis are trying to leave, or have already left the
country after the post-invasion rid-of-the-dictator enthusiasm has
faded away. Exilees went back to Iraq, to visit family and friends, to
be involved in poetry festivals, or making theatre festivals for and
with children in Iraq. But a lot of them are returning less and less to
their former home-country. It is very dangerous and there's not so much
reason for optimism. The country could be closing again, but now in
war, religion, and sectarianism. "We don't want a racist government", I
just heard in a chat, while right now in Baghdad big demonstrations are
being organised going on by (secular) Sunni and Shia together, driven
by anger over the elections, and fears for a new isolated and repressed
society. Lately I get the impression that the Iraqi diaspora is
silencing. Now, this is an observation from Amsterdam, maybe there are
places where Iraqis in the Diaspora manage to stay involved with
developments in Iraq. But the machineries of war are so big, that also
from the outside people are becoming more pessimistic. Bloggers outside
Iraq are still active, like Raed Jarrar, who now lives in the USA, or
his mother from Amman. Even taking the diaspora into account, comparing
Iraqi to other Arab blogospheres like the Jordanian, or Lebanese, there
are big differences. What is also notable is that other Arabic
blogospheres sort of 'stay out' of the Iraqi one. =46rom what I see
these
spheres don't really mix, or connect very well.

GL: You're not reading or speaking Arabic. How do you, and others, deal
with that?

CL: One cross-checks by reading multiple sources and by asking
different Iraqis their opinions and explanations of what is being
written in Iraqi / Arabic media. I inform myself by using all my
possible sources, and all the possible means I am aware of; Iraqis in
and outside Iraq are close to me, here in The Netherlands. I ask them,
until they get bored, to explain to me what I don't understand. I
rarely shut up. I get stuff translated, in chats, when I ask for it.
Iraqi slang used in black humor stories is difficult to translate, but
sometimes it is done for me, and it is the best back entrance to get an
insight into a culture.

GL: Do you encounter fundamental islamists or traditional religious
groups online and how do you deal with this?

CL: In the Iraqi blogosphere I haven't encountered any fundamentalist
approaches. On the contrary, perhaps with the exception of hidden
comments in a few blog comment sections, where sometimes you can find
comments of about a meter in length with texts from the Koran, but most
of the time these are ignored. Most of the bloggers are secular or
gently religious, mainly Islam-oriented, but there are also
Assyrian-Christians. The closer you look, the smaller divisions you can
see inside Islam. The tribal structures become more significant.
Sometimes I do get mixed up in discussions (during chat sessions) about
religion, even though I promised myself not to do so. They end up in
declarations about what specific prophets said and what they meant. I
am not religious, and never have been. I grumble about old dusty ideas
of existentialism, and 'do-it-yourself' practices and that religion,
like politics is all about 'power-systems', with in most cases men on
top. To me, as a woman, seeing the results, religion doesn't make
sense. During such discussions I take the freedom to voice my opinion
just like I am 'normally' used to doing. But in order to 'be equal' it
is necessary to be aware of the different histories, actualities, and
cultural diversities; the world certainly is not that flat. It is
complex and bumpy. I consider myself fairly ignorant regarding matters
of 'religion', and also Arabic cultures. Because of that I consider it
very crucial to listen very carefully to what is really said, and to
try to ask the right questions. Religion is some sort of magic, so (my)
'rationality' probably isn't suitable to provide a better
interpretation. Another aspect is that there are more Sunni's blogging
than Shia. Together with some Iraqi bloggers I'm trying to find out
why, because we are searching for more Shia people that are blogging,
or want to get involved.

GL: A previous aspect of Streamtime dealt with web radio and poetry.
Another is the promotion of free software. What responses have you
heard from Iraqi bloggers about such ideas and activities?

CL: The Iraqi poets, and journalists we became friends with in the
Netherlands invite us when they organize or are involved in a cultural
event, and there is always the option to stream what they do. When we
streamed Iraqi poetry from Amsterdam 'to Iraq' in October 2004, the
poets and listeners were emotional, and it was a great success. We also
streamed as well from Amsterdam in January 2005 when the first Iraqi
elections took place. We transmitted telephone conversations we had
with people in Baghdad and other places in Iraq, plus with Iraqis in
the Diaspora, this was all transmitted. And indeed, we stream with the
Dyne:bolic software (FLOSS) and we try to promote that. We are in dire
shortage of funding, otherwise we would probably have done workshops in
Jordan or elsewhere in the region. Ideas on workshops with the bloggers
and the ideas and options to stream from Iraq meet with enthusiasm with
from the bloggers; there are some small developments from this point of
view.  There is a great IraqiLinuxGroup. Very active, intelligent, open
minds, they just go on through all the war, and we have very good
contacts with them. ILUG people are in Baghdad and abroad. They are
very committed to the promotion of Free Open Source Software. I try to
stimulate that IraqiLinux and bloggers will seek to cooperate together.
And there is of course the fact that in war time many things are 'not
available' but in all the chaos what is there could be considered 'open
source'. People use and copy everything they can get their hands on. We
have to bear in mind that the Web, free software and similar
developments are young in Iraq.

GL: In December 2005 you attended a meeting of the Global Voices
project in London. Global Voice is a 'meta blog' that monitors
so-called 'bridge blogs', "people who are talking about their country
or region to a global audience." How do you judge such US initiative?
Like Streamtime they also support bloggers. What's the difference
compared to your approach? Is it important that you are continental
European? Can you explain us the subtle differences how professional
journalism, activism and blogging operate on both sides of the
Atlantic.

CL: I am glad an initiative like Global Voices (GV) exists and am
fascinated by it. But I can't grasp to my satisfaction the nature of
GV. I can't see in which direction it wants to develop, if it has got
a direction at all. "Who will finance Global Voices over time?" Iranian
blogger Hoder asked during the London conference, while I was asking
myself whether GV is about blogging the blogs and quantities of blog
writing, or is there more=97content=97to it? It didn't seem appropriate
to pose such questions. GV is an experiment, like Streamtime, but on a
grander scale. GV gives a 'massive' impression. And in a way the
description I just heard of a glaze layer over GV seems to fit. The
question is whether this will grow into a serious network, able and
willing to challenge, in practical ways, issues, like for example the
'digital divide'? Could an initiative like GV transform into a cheaper
way for big media corporations to collect information? Is it the fate
of blogs to provide big media with free content? Will blogs become
mainstream itself? Will information 'flatten' instead of being given
more 'relievo' or inside depth? What will happen with Reuters' wish:
"We want to work more with the bloggers." And how can GV find ways to
discuss such issues in a serious manner with the associated relevant
bloggers?

I told myself several times that I shouldn't let myself - because of
the form - distract from content at the GV summit, but the way
co-founders Ethan Zuckermann and Rebecca MacKinnon led the summit was
done in a tight format, in such a way that I felt it would perhaps be
intimidating for some. =46rom my European eyes it seemed pretty American.
It got to on my nerves when Microsoft-blogger Richard Scoble was
introduced. Just walked in for the moment that he would talk about
himself and the company he works for. So I really wondered whether he
had come to listen as well? Was he really interested in what anyone
else there had to say's around? Why did he turn up? He is on the
Microsoft pay-roll, and therefore perhaps he was the only paid blogger
at the conference. Zuckermann and MacKinnon admit that it's a problem
that big companies control too much of the Web-practices, but  I felt a
bit of cold breeze when I raised my questione to Scoble on "corporate
fantasies" and whether Microsoft wasn't more about blocking the
Internet than blogging the Internet. Luckily, I saw Iranian blogger
Hoder smile from ear to ear, which eased my nerves.

Instead of connecting blogging dots from all over the world,.
Streamtime zooms in at Iraq. Of course 'Iraq' more or less involves the
whole world, but Streamtime focuses on getting access to people's
information that we don't know or hear about that easily. This is
mainly done through direct contacts. Making direct contacts in the
Iraqi context is not an easy thing to do. It takes time and a lot of
attention to get through, to gain trust. And 'trust' in the Iraqi
context is a very precious good. Our information is not only gathered
from existing (Iraqi) blogs; the information is actively, and
journalistically searched out, collated, and verified with various
Iraqi people in Iraq and among its Diaspora, backed up with stories of
journalists like Seymour Hersh and Patrick Cockburn.

Especially the 'low-to-no-literacy' and 'multi-linguality' are
essential for Streamtime. The flow of Streamtime is determined by
shared needs, skills, knowledge and experiences of all involved. The
design is guided by openness, free publishing (copy left), easy access,
low-to-no literacy and multi-linguality. Free software is preferred and
its use is stimulated. The Web is a powerful and accessible structure,
but web content remains fragmented. Streamtime aims to research,
indicate, point to and excavate the amazing stories of people that,
against all odds, are building a new Iraq. We want to help break the
media barriers, provide people with the tools and knowledge to build
their own radio broadcast stations, make programs and exchange content.

GL: Apart from Streamtime you're involved in an international network
of investigative journalism. What do you work on besides Iraq? Can you
imagine one day integrating blogging and journalism and making a living
from it? The economics of blogging is very high on the agenda of the
A-lists bloggers. They all seem to be millionaires, or what? Blogging
is more and more becoming a fulltime activity for some, but how they
will make a living remains a mystery.

CL: I worked, and still work, on Italian issues. A number of years ago
I was a newspaper correspondent in Italy for Dutch media. I have also
worked for Italian media. Recently I wrote a report about the state of
investigative journalism in Italy. The study was presented at a recent
event, here in Amsterdam where over 450 participants from 30 countries
participated in the "third Global Investigative Journalism Conference."
For ages I have had a special interest in media restrictions, economies
and its political dimensions. In Italy this is a big issue (one you
won't find on TV). The influence of American media corporations
throughout the Western Hemisphere is huge. Its commercial significance
is similar. This also counts for applies to the Web. Concerning to
blogs, I am looking into possibilities of setting -up a
similar-to-Streamtime-but-different project for Zimbabwe. We know that
Zimbabwe bought a web filter system from China, in which Google, Yahoo
and Cisco are involved. While researching Zimbabwe I accidentally got
involved in a Darfur blog--invented only a week ago, and already
mentioned in the Washington Post.

Old-fashioned newspaper journalism is still where my heart is, even
though I like the mix of old and new media. I still follow the
developments in the Italian G-8 court case. During the 2001 G8 summit

in Genoa anti-globalists were beaten up 'Chilean style'. One
demonstrator died, the police violence was brutal. I monitor what
happens in the turbulent, but oh so quiet Netherlands, but it is
difficult to find publishers for my findings. Mainstream media is
running after its own tail. The other day a colleague, working at Dutch
national public radio told me about an experience with his editor: He
had researched and gathered some fine facts to scoop with. The answer
he got from his editor was that no-one had come up with this
information yet. So my colleague responded him: "Indeed, isn't that
what News is all about?!" Recently, after proposing an article to a
national newspaper I was told: "We don't have a freelancers budget."

Later that day they phoned me, and asked to interview me on the subject
I had brought up earlier in the day. I agreed to be interviewed for PR
reasons. I can't imagine making money from all of the work I do and do
not have the slightest clue how bloggers will make money out of their
activities, even despite the fact that I did hear stories of
extravagant wedding parties being paid from the revenues of blogging.

(edited by Amanda McDonald Crowley)

Links:

Cecile Landman's blog: http://xer-files.blogspot.com/
Streamtime campaign: http://www.streamtime.org
Dyne:bolic software: http://www.dynebolic.org/
Iraq Blog Count: http://iraqblogcount.blogspot.com/
Global Voices: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/globalvoices/
Global Voices London event:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/globalvoices/global-voices-2005-london-
summit/
VVOJ (Dutch-Flemish organization for Investigative Journalists):
http://www.vvoj.org/