martha rosler on Wed, 31 May 2006 19:28:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Event: Chris Gilbert's resignation

i am surprised at Brian Holmes for presenting this document this way,
though I note that your wording, Brian, ultimates begs the question.
A curator with an ethic of solidarity perhaps, but to many readers
I've heard from (since this has been circulating for a week), this
appears to be a case of someone stepping in front of the material
they wish to put before the public and thereby, as they say, making
himself (or his labels) the story.

Perhaps solidarity can be evoked and supported in the viewers by not
predetermining quite so firmly the rhetorical turns that might
accompany it. (Of course, what one discusses in house is different
from what the viewer sees, and the document  in question is not part
of an exhibition but a letter circulated out of an impasse...over a
word.)

in soildarity
martha rosler