syk0 on Thu, 11 May 2006 09:22:54 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Latino political influence in the US?

On Sat, 6 May 2006, coco fusco wrote:

> These immigrant protests are more important for American politics and the role of immigrants within American political life than they are for
> strengthening connections with Latin America. American politicians will seek to add to their voting pool by pandering to the immigrants and
> finding ways to enfranchise them. There are precedents in US history for this. In the past, when it served political interest, non-citizens
> have been allowed to vote at many levels of government.
>
> Coco Fusco

I am sorry, but I don't see how politicians can view non-citizens as
potential voters, given how many years it takes to become documented, and
then become a citizen and be able to vote.

Far more influential would be citizens of the same ethnic group and their
_perception_ of politicians actions towards undocumented workers of the
same ethnic or afinity group.

more later on this