Geert Lovink on Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:58:52 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> blogonomics according to carr

(for me nicholas carr was one of the most interesting net critics of
the past season. carr's rough type blog is one of the best places if
you want to look for critical google watching. below you will find his
sobering statistics on what it means, in economic terms, to blog.

/geert)

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2006/04/a_year_in_the_s.php

A year in the 'sphere
April 15, 2006

It was exactly one year ago today that I posted my first entry on Rough
Type. Here are some official statistics:

Total number of entries: Lots

Total number of words: Don't even want to know

Out-of-pocket costs (est.): $1,650

Revenues (est.): $225

Net loss (est.): $1,425

(Welcome to the wacky world of citizen media, where journalism is an
avocation, like fox hunting used to be.)

Opportunity cost of author's time: Less than he thinks

Number of comments and trackbacks: Thousands and thousands

Percentage of above represented by spam: At least 80%

Current Technorati rank: 689 (2,834 links from 1,085 sites)

Average daily page views at start of year: 0

Average daily page views now: 6,589

I believe that represents some kind of exponential rate of increase,
which I'm pretty sure is a sign that the singularity is near, which I
take as an indication that the time is right for a vacation.

Bye.