brian carroll on Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:39:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> re: nuclear diplomatic track

or, maybe this is the pre-existing condition of the last 40 years,
via the rise of a particular dynasty, and this condition would merely
be to transfer it from a private to a public realm, in which the
state could both be abolished by constitutional authority and then
reconstituted under shared principles. that is, to reclaim democracy.
this is not necessarily a coup, if there is an illegal government. it
is a civil war and exercising legal authority to reclaim the state by
legal means, by constitutional right. whether one believes it or not,
the military take the constitution seriously when they are dying for
it, and die for it so that it can survive times such as these. and
thus these words are not at all hollow.

On Apr 13, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Benjamin Geer wrote:

> On 13/04/06, brian carroll <neuron@electronetwork.org> wrote:
>> yet, in 'a state of emergency' it would be imperative to have public
>> .US control over the state, so things do not get out of hand. so,
>> it is
>> like having a circuit-breaker, and what will be called for is that
>> the
>> .US military prepare to take temporary control of all critical .US
>> functionality, outside of political control of the reigning parties,
>> until the state can be reconstituted.
>
> I don't think a military coup can be equated with public control of
> the state.  Military coups often lead to military regimes that last
> for decades, or to unstable states in which regularly occurring coups
> become the normal mechanism by which power is transferred from one
> ruling clique to another.  "States of emergency" have an unfortunate
> tendency to last for a very long time.
>
> Ben

GUANTANAMO BAY PRISON // public service announcement
OPEN for international human rights & Red Cross inspections
CLOSE for violating human rights in the name of democracy