Kevin Hamilton on Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:18:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Brands and Identity in the Age of Neuroscience

Though this Clockwork Orange stuff is not too surprising, it's been
stuck in my brain for the last couple of days.

I'm both encouraged and concerned about the article's implications. On
the one hand, we might see here confirmation of some of the brightest
hopes for art in the last century. The Soviet constructivists, for
example, would have been all over this, honing in on the exact shapes
and colors necessary for producing a better society - and without all
the mystical mumbo-jumbo of the Theosophists.

But of course the findings of this article also show how art can achieve
the greatest of lies - see the current brand identities of any number of
mega-corps.

Neither the pessimistic or optimistic implications of the article are
that new - many of us, I'm sure, have been looking at the relationship
of formal aesthetic decisions to the creation of subjecthood and society.

But perhaps the extension of our pursuits into organisms in just this
way might shift our focus? When I look at agitprop, for example, I can
see more and less-embodied approaches to stirring people to action.

In my experience, overt attempts to effect reception at the biological
level have ended up essentialist, not contextualized enough. I'm
reminded of how phenomenologically-inclined artists are often the ones
least likely to attend to the specificities of subjecthood. (Is anyone
in whiteness studies working on the art of Robert Irwin? Would be
interesting.)

But perhaps there is ground to reclaim here - we get a lot of biological
metaphors in net-art discourse, but not a lot of work that engages
bodies. (I include myself in this implication - my work is as informed
by structuralism and conceptualism as any.)

Without resorting to essentialist appeals to the "visceral," can we make
work that connects to and effects at a deeper biological level? I'm
skeptical, but wondering if that's what it takes to compete with the
branding agencies.

I'd be curious to hear Paul's thoughts on posting the piece - did you
post it as a caution or a hope?

Thanks either way,

Kevin Hamilton