Rob van Kranenburg on Sun, 8 Jan 2006 08:00:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Frank Rieger: We lost the War--Welcome to the World of Tomorrow

I don't get it. It is a good analysis. Sings to the right tunes. Yet
how can a text that starts with "We lost the War" end with... "fun".
Fun has become an overrated concept all of a sudden. The "laughter"
that is called for sounds hollow and shrill. 'They' are laughing all
their way to the bank and the frontlines of our wars our streets of
daily walking, if that is all we can come up with a the end of the
day. As a welcoming to a new tomorrow being "flexible creative and
funny" is exactly what the creative industries pretend or want to be.
What happend to the good old days where you made an analysis, plotted
a course, had a view on life and living and said: hell no! this is
going the wrong way, let's call for a....revolution! With an analysis
like this to end with a call for being funny about it all as our LAST
resort, that is beyond deconstruction in its wildest dreams. As I
said, I don't get it. And in the way I do get it, all this talk about
fun makes me feel really old of a sudden and very sad.