Sascha D. Freudenheim on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:28:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> NYC Transit Strike Article in Telepolis

As a New Yorker, let me be the first to acknowledge that the
Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) made mistakes here: in decisions
about what to do with its surplus; in the decision to offer riders
discounts during the holidays instead of making other investments; and
in the run-up to negotiations as a strike loomed.

But as a New Yorker, and someone who generally supports labor activism,
let me also say that: this strike is a mistake, and extremely misguided.
  The union's demands are unrealistic, particularly in an economic
environment in which both pension and health care costs have been
increasing dramatically, as is the case in the U.S. generally, and in
New York in particular.

Yes, the idea that there might be a two-tiered system is correct, were
the union to agree to changes in benefits.  Yet this is no different
from any other situation in which a firm hires one employee under
somewhat different terms than another.  The firm that I work for once
offered life insurance, but does no longer; but I don't resent my
colleagues who joined at an earlier moment, which that benefit was still
available.  Situations change.

The situation reminds me, in some ways, of the unrealistic attitude many
Germans have -- that after 50 years of relatively cushy, post-War
benefits, the system that allows early retirements and lush benefits is
somehow immutable.  Nonsense; why should it be that benefits cannot
change when the economic and demographic circumstances that underpin
those benefits also change?  If nothing else, the increase in human life
expectancy necessitates changes to a system that once offered 20 years
of comfortable retirement and now must provide for closer to 30 or 40
years of retirement.  Nor is it so absurd to ask that workers, if they
wish to sustain this early retirement age, make an increased
contribution towards their retirement funds.

Moreover, as a taxpayer in this already-expensive city, the demands of
the workers materially affect me.  If costs go up, my ridership likely
goes down, which will surely be the case across the city.  The people
who are hurt by these fare increases (as, indeed, they already are by
the strike) are those who rely on public transit.  Anyone who has
visited NYC knows that the ridership on the system is diverse, but let's
not kid ourselves that the restaurant workers and retail clerks have the
same financial resources to take taxis to work that the stock brokers
and lawyers might.

The international union under which NYC's Local 100 Transit Workers
Union sits specifically recommended against a strike -- because, towards
the end of negotiations, the MTA returned to the table with a modified
offer that conceded to much of what the union requested.  Ongoing
discussions should have been possible.  That the union decided to go on
strike anyway is a decision for which no one should be pleased or
supportive.

As a New Yorker, better support for the workers would mean more
encouragement to return to negotiations, and to find a compromise both
sides can live with.

Sascha D. Freudenheim
Doubt is humanity's best friend.
For five years and counting: http://www.thetruthasiseeit.com/