Geert Lovink [c] on Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:00:05 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Joost Smiers: Abandoning Copyright: A Blessing for Artists, Art, and Society [u]

(posted to nettime with the permission of the author. /geert)

From: joost.smiers@planet.nl

Abandoning Copyright: A Blessing for Artists, Art, and Society
By Joost Smiers
de Volkskrant, 26 November 2005

http://www.culturelink.org/news/members/2005/members2005-011.html
(English translation of original article published in Dutch)

Several weeks ago, Carlos Guiterrez, the US Secretary of Commerce,
announced a series of initiatives to stamp out the rampant piracy of,
among other things, music. Damages resulting from counterfeiting and
piracy is estimated to amount to 250 billion dollars annually, in the
United States alone. In a press release, he stated, "The protection of
intellectual property is vital to our economic growth and global
competitiveness and it has major consequences in our ongoing effort to
promote security and stability around the world,"

Now I must admit that it never occurred to me that copyright could
contribute to global security and stability. This is quite an
intriguing message ? and from a US Secretary, at that! Another aspect
addressed by Carlos Guiterrez is, however, more obvious. Copyright has
increasingly become an instrument for securing huge investments. In the
past decade, it has become one of the major driving forces of western
economy, and US economy in particular. This development, however, has a
major downside: companies owning massive amounts of copyrighted works
can, at their whim, ban weaker cultural activities ? not only from the
marketplace, but also from the general audience's attention. This is
happening under our very eyes. It is nigh impossible to ignore the
blockbuster movies, bestselling books and top-chart records presented
to us by these cultural molochs, who, incidentally, own almost every
imaginable right to these works. As a result, the most people are
completely unaware of all those other, less commercialized activities
taking place in music, literature, cinema, theater and other arts. This
is a tremendous loss to society, because our democratic world can only
truly thrive on a large diversity of freely expressed and discussed
cultural expressions.

The common perception is that copyright first and foremost protects the
well-being and interests of artists. However, history shows that the
first political act somewhat resembling our modern copyright laws
already had quite a different objective than safeguarding the artist's
income. The first initiative for protecting the intellectual property
of artistic expression was made by Queen Anne in England, who, in 1557,
granted the Stationer's guild a monopoly on printing and publishing
books; a monopoly which conveniently banned all competition from
printers in other parts, such as other counties, or rival Scotland. In
fact, the term "copyright" says it all: it is the exclusive right to
copy any particular work; nowhere in early copyright was any mention
made of the author or artist who produced the work. Queen Anne had her
reasons for installing this copyright. She was not overly fond of the
concept of "the free word", and granting the Stationer's guild the
exclusive right to publishing books gave her full control over which
books could be published and which were banned from the market. After
all, those who can grant rights, can deny them as well.

This act by Queen Anne is the specter by which copyright is haunted up
to this day, and perhaps even more than ever before. Ever smaller
numbers of increasingly large and powerful entities own the exclusive
rights to ever more works in the fields of literature, cinema, music
and graphic arts. For example Bill Gates, widely known as the founder
of Microsoft, also owns a rather less known company by the name of
Corbis, which collects vast amounts of images from all over the world;
together with Getty, Corbis is developing into an oligopolist in the
field of photographs and reproductions of paintings ? in other words:
an entity which has a large amount of control over the market, just as
the Stationer's guild had in the sixteenth century. The oligopolist has
control over which artistic works we may use for which purposes, and
under which conditions, in much the same way Queen Anne had control
over printed works.

In most cultures around the world, this state of affairs was, and is,
highly undesirable, even unthinkable. Artists have always used and
built upon other artists' work to create new works of art. It is hard
to imagine indeed that the works of Shakespeare, Bach, and countless
others cultural heavyweights could have come into existence without
this principle of freely building on the work of predecessors. Yet what
do we see happening now? Take, for example, documentary makers, who
nowadays face almost insurmountable obstacles, as their work almost
inevitably contains fragments of copyrighted pictorial or musical
content, the use of which requires both consent from the copyright
owner and a fee to be paid. The latter is almost always beyond the
documentary maker's means, and the former gives Bill Gates, or any
other copyright owner, full rights to allow the use of "his" artistic
content only in a way he deems appropriate. Now where in this scheme of
things are our human rights? Human rights should guarantee freedom of
communication, and a free exchange of ideas and cultural expressions is
what greatly helped build our modern society. This human cultural
development will, however, grind to a halt when a mere handful of
persons or companies can call themselves "owners" of the majority of
pictures and melodies our society has brought forth. This puts them in
a position where they alone can dictate whether we can make use of a
substantial part of our collective human cultural achievement, and on
which terms and conditions. The consequences are detrimental: we are
being made speechless; our cultural memory is taken from us and locked
away; the development and spread of our cultural identity is stunted,
and our imagination is laid in chains by law.

Contrary to what one might expect, the seemingly endless possibilities
of copying and sampling using modern digital technologies have so far
only aggravated the situation. Publicly offering even a mere second's
worth of copyrighted work will almost certainly attract attention from
lawyers on behalf of the "owners" of said material. Sound artists, who
used to freely sample work from others to build new musical creations,
are now treated as pirates and criminals. Whole copyright enforcement
industries have emerged, scouting the digital universe day and night
for even the smallest snippet of copyrighted work used by others ? and
those found out, often stand to lose literally everything they have.

Copyright has yet another intrinsic fault which makes it difficult to
maintain in a democratic society. Copyright nowadays revolves almost
exclusively around so-called intellectual property. This is a problem,
since the traditional notion of property is largely irreconcilable with
intangible concepts such as knowledge and creativity; a tune, an idea
or an invention will not lose any of its value or usefulness when it is
shared among any number of people. In contrast, a single physical
object, such as a chair, quickly becomes less useful when more people
want access to it; in this latter case, the term "property" has a clear
meaning and purpose. Unfortunately, in the past decades the legal
definition of property has been extended way beyond any physical
constraints. These days, almost anything can be someone's property,
such as fragrances and colors; even the makeup of the proteins in our
blood and the genes in our body cells are being claimed as the
exclusive property of one company or another, which can subsequently
bar anyone else from using it. It is therefore high time to reconsider
the current concept of property.

With regard to artistic works, it is quite conceivable that no single
person should have the right to claim exclusive ownership over, say, a
particular tune. We all know that almost every work of art, and every
invention, is based upon the work of predecessors. Now this doesn't
mean we should have less respect for artists creating new works of art
based on the work of others, and we're obliged to contribute to
artists' well-being and income in our society. Yet rewarding their
every single achievement, or reproduction or even interpretation
thereof, with a monopoly lasting many decades, is too much, because it
leaves nothing for other artists to build on. In fact, even criticizing
the artist's work can become rather hazardous, as it "damages" his
"property". Unpleasant as this sounds, things get even worse when we
consider that the vast majority of copyrighted works is owned by a
relatively small group of large conglomerates. These mega-industries
create, invent or produce nothing at all, yet demand that artists sign
over all rights to their works to them, just for the privilege of
having their works distributed.

>From this point of view, there is ample reason to send our current
system of copyright to the scrapheap. Artists will of course feel
threatened by such a bold move. After all, without copyright, they will
lose all means of existence, now won't they? Well, not necessarily.
Let's first look at some numbers. Research by economists shows that
only 10 percent of artists collect 90 percent of copyright proceeds,
and that the remaining 90 percent of artists must share the remaining
10 percent of proceeds. In other words: for the vast majority of
artists, copyright has only marginal financial advantages. Then there's
another peculiar fact: most artists have entered into some sort of
covenant with the cultural industry ? as if these two groups have even
remotely similar interests! For example GEMA, the German copyright
organization, sends approximately 70 percent of copyright proceeds
abroad, mostly to the US, where several of the world's biggest cultural
conglomerates reside. In this process, the average artist is nowhere to
be seen.

What is called for, is a way to ensure that artists can make a fair
income from their work, without the risk of being pushed out of the
market and the larger audience's attention by the cultural industry's
marketing power. This may sound rather idealistic, and perhaps somewhat
unrealistic, but society's need for cultural diversity should not be
underestimated.
The interesting thing is that it is quite feasible for artists to
thrive without copyright. After all, copyright is simply a protective
layer of armor around a work of art ? and the question is whether the
benefits of this protection outweigh its drawbacks. Artists, and their
agents and producers are entrepreneurs. What then justifies the fact
that their work receives vastly more protection ? i.e. long-term
monopolistic control over their work ? than the work of other
entrepreneurs? Why can't they simply offer their work on the free
market, and try to attract buyers?

Let's try to predict what would happen if copyright were abolished. One
of the first effects would be intriguing: All of a sudden, it would be
no longer interesting for large cultural industries to focus so heavily
on bestselling books, blockbuster movies and superstars. If, in the
absence of copyright and intellectual property, these works can be
freely enjoyed and exchanged by anyone, the cultural industry giants
lose their exclusive rights to works of art. As a result, they will
also lose their dominating market position which keeps so many other
artists out of sight. The market would become normalized, which would
enable more artists to show their work, make themselves known, and make
a fair income from what they produce. This income initially results
from being the first in the market with a specific work. But there's
another factor contributing to the artists' success. A more normalized
cultural marketplace will offer more artists an opportunity to build a
reputation, like a brand name, which can subsequently be exploited to
sell more works at a higher price. Rapid and widespread copying of an
artist's work, only possible in this digital age, may indeed decrease
its market value, but will only serve to increase the artist's
reputation. This gives more artists an opportunity to keep selling
their works to a larger audience than the current, industry-controlled
distribution model.

Obviously, abandoning copyright raises several important questions
which need resolving, and three major adjustments in particular are
called for. The first issue is that the production of an artistic work
sometimes involves a significant investment in time and/or money. This
would require legal protection for a short period of time, such as a
year in the case of literature or cinema, during which the artist can
exclusively reap the benefits from his work. This usufruct, however is
different from current practice, as the work will automatically enter
into the public domain after completion ? as was customary in nearly
all cultures before our current intellectual property laws.

The question of course is, why specifically a year, and no longer?
Experience shows that the economically viable life span of the majority
of works is a year or less. After this period, producing and
distributing the same work is no longer interesting for other parties
anyhow, because lots of others could do the same, which makes the
investment unprofitable. An obvious consequence of all this is that
there can be no more illegal use of works of art ? at least outside the
protection time span ? since the material in question is no longer
owned by any one party. Piracy will mostly be a thing of the past, as
will criminalizing and pursuing people who share and distribute works
of art, e.g. those who share music via the Internet.

The second obvious problem is that many works of art may not yield any
profit in a free market for some time, or at least not within the
proposed protection time span of one year. This may happen when a
particular work remains "undiscovered" by the major audience. Still, it
is important for society that a large diversity of works of art is
available for public enjoyment and discussion. Also, artists must have
the opportunity to develop their work, even when these are not directly
interesting to the market at large. The development of an artist's
skills and personal style often takes a lot of time, yet it is in the
interest of society as a whole to invest in this development. For these
and other reasons society has an obligation to support the creation of
these works of art by means of subsidies or other support models.

The third issue concerns the whole of the cultural market place.
Abandoning copyright would remove one major support from under the
dominance of our current cultural industries, but this does not
necessarily mean that their dominance would end. Established industries
would still hold the means to large-scale production, distribution and
marketing of cultural goods and services in a firm grip; this is one of
the reasons for their current success: keeping total control over
artistic works from the source to the end consumer, and this
distribution model is what largely determines which films, books,
theater productions and image materials we can enjoy.

This concentration of power is undesirable in every branch of industry,
but it is particularly detrimental in the cultural field. We could
therefore imagine that the cultural market be subjected to a kind of
competitive law with a strong cultural bias. This relates among other
things to ownership of means of production and distribution of cultural
goods. Also, legislation may be called for to force large cultural
enterprises to (re)present all of the actual cultural diversity being
created by both local and foreign artists. This model would make a
world without copyright not just perfectly imaginable, but also
profitable for very many artists, and be a veritable blessing to
cultural democracy.

--

Joost Smiers is the author of Arts Under Pressure, Promoting Cultural
Diversity in the Age of Globalization, and a professor of political

Contact: Prof. dr. Joost Smiers, HKU/Utrecht School of the Arts,
P.O.Box 1520, 3500 BM Utrecht, The Netherlands; tel.: 00 31 30 2332256;
e-mail: joost.smiers@central.hku.nl