David Irving on Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:09:15 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Use of Computers in Preschools

I recently read "The Flickering Mind"  by Todd Oppenheimer which is an
excellent antidote to the kind of thinking that puts a computer into
every classroom, and I remember reading something by Theodore Roszak
many years ago which had a similar thrust (I can't remember the name of
that one).

The biggest problem with computers in schools is that there are very few
teachers who know enough about computers and their limitations to use
them effectively as an educational tool. Instead, the kids learn how to
use the latest-but-one version of Word, and mostly use the computers to
play games and surf for porn.

In the rare cases where computers are used effectively, they can be a
useful (but not indespensible) tool, but generally teachers are too
overworked to have the time or the energy to work out how to do this.