Geert Lovink [c] on Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:17:23 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> (CRIS): WSIS and Human Rights in Tunisia (Modified by Geert Lovink) [u]

(Interesting report from the communication rights campaign coordinator
Se?n ? Siochr? who recently visited Tunisia, the host country for the
second world summit on the information society (wsis) that will take
place in Tunis, mid November. Next week a third and last preparatory
meeting takes place in Geneva. This text was fwd. from the
Incommunicado list. /geert)

From: Se?n ? Siochr?, CRIS Campaign

Human Rights in Tunisia: The Grip Tightens in the Lead up to The WSIS.

I am of the generation that on hearing that someone has been on a
?mission?, immediately thinks either of ?Mission Impossible? or of the
many Irish missionaries that plied the world with Christian ideology,
mostly well-intentioned, in the name of helping poor people. I am just
back from a human rights mission to Tunisia. This is my report. I
cannot say which of the above it more closely approximates, if any, but
my firm intention is to add another voice to those who argue that civil
society must take strong action at the upcoming WSIS PrepCom 3 and
Tunis Summit on the human rights situation in Tunisia.

------------------

I travelled to Tunis last week on behalf of the CRIS Campaign as part
of an international group of human rights related NGOs. We were to
participate in a planning meeting about the WSIS and the human rights
situation in Tunisia hosted by the Ligue Tunisienne des Droits de
l?Homme (LTDH) ? Tunisian League for Human Rights ? and I personally
was eager to assess the situation for myself. The schedule included a
session on the 8th of September with LTDH members to discuss the
situation and options, meetings with government officials to listen to
their positions, followed by attendance as observers at the Sixth
Congress of the League.

Human rights advocates under siege?

The deterioration of the situation in Tunisia was evident even before
we set off. On the Monday before travelling a court order was issued
prohibiting the LTDH from holding its Congress, and indeed from even
discussing and planning the event at a later date. On arrival on
Wednesday evening, we went straight to the League?s office to find the
street at both ends cluttered with plain clothes police, presumably
intended to deter visitors and intimidate those inside. The atmosphere
in the office was siege-like, non stop convening of meetings and
huddled discussions. But messages of support from the German
ambassador, the Canadian Attach? and EU diplomats were encouraging; and
the news that the President of the European Parliament had issued a
strong statement in their favour, drawing attention also to the WSIS,
was greeted with some appreciation. [1]

There is strong evidence that the human rights situation in Tunisia is
deteriorating in many respects, including in relation to the internet.
The first assembly of the Tunisian Journalists Association, scheduled
for the Wednesday the 7th of September, was also cancelled by the
authorities. And the imprisonment in April of lawyer Mohamed Abbou to
three and a half years for a website article comparing torture in
Tunisian prisons to Abu Graib [2] is still fresh in everyone?s minds?
as is the sad death of the young Zouhair Yahyaoui, editor of TuneZine,
who had been imprisoned and tortured for publishing his critical Web
journal [3]. All this in the country that will soon host the
Information Society Summit. E-mails of suspect individuals are
systematically monitored ? a joke here is that faxes usually arrive the
next day! The LTDH is itself infiltrated by many government agents, who
barely conceal their efforts to hamper its activities and undermine its
credibility (the suspended Congress being a case in point).

Many in Tunis and outside had hoped the security-obsessed President Ben
Ali might concede to pressures to improve the human rights situation in
the run up to the WSIS in November. On the contrary: Systematic and
orchestrated efforts appear to be ongoing to prevent the LTDH and
independent non-governmental organisations from casting a spotlight on
the ugly reality of human rights in Tunisia when the heads of state,
ministers, intergovernmental organisations and NGOs converge on the
Summit in November.

Apart from words of comfort from some governments, offered mostly by
local diplomats who can appreciate the facts with their own eyes, there
is scant evidence that the rest of the international community is at
all concerned where it matters most ? in the context of the WSIS
itself. International relations being what they are, it seems none
amongst them is as yet willing to spoil the party, even those who
privately believe that the party itself ? the WSIS - will achieve
little.

Thursday: Meetings commence

In a tense but defiant atmosphere, the meeting between the
international NGO observers and the LTDH went ahead on the 8th in their
offices ? they had been unable to find hotel willing to host it. I
arrived just as it started, having awaited a phone call from the BBC
world service ? who unfortunately felt the issue was not newsworthy at
this time, though they are willing to look at it again. (My taxi driver
finally found the building thanks to directions from one of the
innumerable plain clothes police hanging around). In a packed room that
included many members of the press, we had a morning of short speeches
from the international NGOs, followed by impassioned appeals of LTDH
members and other national organisations. In the circumstances, not a
lot of practical work was done. It was a time to express mutual
solidarity among LTDH members and supporters, the only time, given the
cancellation of the much-anticipated Congress. There was a palpable
sense that disrupting the LTDH Congress, and the journalists? meeting,
was a new low in government tactics, and the speeches came from the
heart. Human rights, journalist groups, prisoner support and justice
groups described their experiences and made their demands ? all were
determined to show they would not be intimidated.

Over lunchtime (lunch itself finally arrived in paper bags in mid
afternoon), a smaller group from the LTDH and those from outside most
involved in the WSIS discussed the processes of PrepCom 3 and the
Summit, and how something positive could come from it all. After that a
drafting group sat together to draw up a statement, expressing our
genuine outrage at what appeared to be happening. [4] Many of the
international organisations had already been here several days and had
had extensive discussions with the government, who made themselves
readily available - including the Minister of Justice - to gain their
perspectives and hear their explanations first hand. On the
overwhelming balance of evidence, however, the situation could not be
clearer. [5] There is no denying significant evidence of orchestrated
efforts to shut down criticism of the government, efforts perpetrated
mostly through third parties but certainly under the direction of
government, and facilitated by a judiciary much of which is clearly
acting on behalf of the government. There is no denying also the
ubiquitous presence of the police, mostly plain clothes, who reportedly
number 140,000 in this country of under 11 million people and who were
ever present throughout our stay.

Thursday ended with a two hour meeting at the offices of the Tunisian
Association of Women for Democracy offices. It turned into another
series of impassioned pleas, but from different perspectives. Women of
all ages expressed their anger at the fact that the WSIS was being held
in Tunis at all. ?What does it bring for women struggling for their
rights here?? ?How will it ease the censorship and control we already
put up with?? They desperately wanted to go to PrepCom in Geneva, to
tell everyone about the reality of Tunisia today and present their
image of the ?information society? ? but though they fought long and
hard for NGO recognition and are accredited at the WSIS, they are not
amongst those favoured with government (or any other) funding to travel
to Geneva. I promised, feeling pretty inadequate by this stage, to try
and raise funds for them.

The official view?

The next day, Friday, a few of us (myself for CRIS, the International
Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and Rights and Democracy) had a
meeting with Mohamed Habib Cherif, the Human Rights Coordinator in the
Ministry of Justice and Human Rights, lasting almost two hours. We
raised issues concerning imprisonment of government critics, the
apparent lack of independence of parts of the judiciary, and the
harassment of the LTDH and the Union of Journalists. I also raised and
we discussed at some length the presence at WSIS meetings everywhere of
a large number of well organised Tunisian ?NGOs? whose clear goal was
to disrupt any efforts to highlight Tunisia?s poor human rights record,
to harass and intimidate those involved, and which in some cases had
been responsible for the theft and destruction of publications
(including those of IPS) that are critical of the Tunisian government.
This is in clear violation of the right to free expression and
association of those they target ? in this case, anyone criticising the
human rights record of the Tunisian government. At the World Forum on
Communication Rights, organised by CRIS and others alongside the Geneva
Summit in December 2003, we could see this with our own eyes.

Only three genuinely independent Tunisian NGOs are accredited to the
WSIS process; the only three that are legally recognised as NGOs by the
Tunisian government (government recognition is a requirement of
accreditation, a fact used by other governments, such as China, to
stifle critical voices). I pointed to the widespread perception in
Geneva, especially among civil society, that many of the other
accredited Tunisian NGOs are funded by and acting under the direction
of the Tunisian government.

The Tunisian Human Rights Coordinator?s response on most issues had a
certain consistency: The suspension of the LTDH was a result of
internecine struggles, and the government has nothing to do with them;
the judiciary is entirely independent of the government, and the
government does not and cannot interfere; and of course the NGOs in
Geneva and elsewhere that consistently harass and disrupt those
critical of the government do not act under the direction or with the
support of the government - it is rather a case of civil society
holding different positions. I am not sure if he expected us to believe
this, to accept his word against the wealth of evidence. But there is
no prospect of the government owning up to its huge network of agents,
spies and stooges paid for and acting directly in their interests. All
the evidence that points in this direction is, they claim, simply
wrong. The WSIS, he insisted, was being manipulated by partial
interest. Indeed, but in whose interests, I asked him.

We concluded the meeting with an assurance from him, at my request,
that he will personally accept, look into and respond to any concerns
that we might have regarding unfair treatment of any group from civil
society during the Summit and to any threats to the rights of
association and free speech of any of them. Whatever we think about
other matters, I believe we should take him at his word on this.

An issue for all of civil society?

There have been some small improvements in Tunisia in recent months,
for instance the removal of some of the obstacles facing publishers of
periodicals. These are certainly welcome, and perhaps further minor
concessions may be forthcoming as the WSIS approaches. But these must
be set against the deteriorating overall situation and the severe
obstacles faced by critics of the government. A few concessions are
easily offered with such a mounting litany to choose from. They do
little to counteract the overall environment of thoroughgoing
repression.

The government cannot be allowed to get away with this. Their efforts
to use the WSIS to project a picture globally of a modern liberated
state that values and respects human rights is an insult to all those
who know and try to disseminate the truth. The CRIS campaign, and civil
society in general at the WSIS, has a compelling obligation to take a
stand. The official activities of the WSIS may yet produce some minor
but useful outcomes. And of course civil society has already gained
hugely in terms of our capacity to organise globally and interact
effectively around information society issues. But it is time we used
this influence to achieve a concrete and useful goal.

The Tunisian government can be pressured to respond, to make meaningful
concessions and reverse the worsening situation. They have been
presented with concrete proposals to rebuild human rights, nothing
hugely radical, from international human rights organisations as well
as from those struggling nationally. Such concessions will not, as the
government sometimes informally suggests, play into the hands of
fundamentalists and terrorists. To the contrary: Supporting and
deepening human rights in Tunisia, as it does everywhere, will
significantly undermine the tiny basis of support for such extremism.
Failure to do so could lead to the disaster that the government claims
to be trying to avoid.

Is this Mission Impossible? Do I delude myself that we can really help
the situation? I think the answer to both is no. Something can be
achieved here. There is still the possibility of progress before and
during the Summit. It will take a concerted effort to mobilise the
international media, and especially to persuade other governments to
put pressure on the government of Tunisia. PrepCom 3 offers us a great
opportunity to do this.

[1] See http://www.europarl.eu.int/president/defaulten.htm?agenda The
President expressed his 'deepest concern at the decision taken on 5
September to 'suspend' the holding of the Tunisian Human Rights League
congress' and that the decision 'is particularly damaging, given that
Tunisia is to hold the World Summit on the Information Society, a
symbol of freedom and tolerance.'

[2]
http://www.indexonline.org/en/news/articles/2005/2/tunisia-threat-of-
boycott-increases-as-anoth.shtml

[3] http://www.tunezine.com/ and
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=12852 for a brief account of
his case and death at 36 years of age.

[4] see http://www.crisinfo.org/content/view/full/941

[5] See reports of human rights missions earlier this year, and other
links. http://www.fidh.org/article.php3?id_article=2418 and also
http://www.ifex.org/en/content/view/full/66552/

Se?n ? Siochr?: sean@nexus.ie