nettime's avid reader on Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:50:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Books I Like [2x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Books I Like
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>

   Re: <nettime> Books I Like
     David Mandl <dmandl@panix.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:14:22 +0200 (CEST)
From: Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Books I Like

Dear Alan, Early Radio, Boswell etc all fine, but Firefox is
a piece of shit for me, like Mozilla ;-)

There is no MIME in Firefox ("Thinks they left out") and if you install
the MIME manager extension you dont get more than you have in Mozilla
which is not enough.

MIME has two sides, sotosay mailcap and mime.types. Mailcap is necessary
to associate a MIME type with an application, mime.types (on the client)
is necessary to associate the MIME type with an extension. But in Mozilla,
you dont get this extension in the browser cache, where is is
necessary, there are so many players with hardcoded extensions, you get
it only on the desktop if you save the file ("save as" or whatever).

So I really hope the next generation is more like lynx, that works nicenst
with .mailcap and .mime.types, or the good old Netscape.

Best, H.