david garcia on Fri, 20 May 2005 15:10:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Landscape Painting of the Information Age

Romanticism was a rebellion against the utilitarian stance of the
enlightenment project, in which the world of nature was an emanation of
spirit. Both a political and an artistic movement the romantics believed
that art and poetry could restore the world to us by revealing what was
behind it.

But modernists in their turn repudiated romanticism, not only because the
development of urbanised and technological society had marginalised the
nature and landscapes of Herzen, Wordsworth, Freiderich and Constable etc
with their peasants depicted living in sybiosis with nature (no calloused
hands and summary evictions here). The spiritless world view of science
had evolved beyond simple machanics expanding to envelope the life
sciences. Moreover modernism also registered a deeper shift in the sense
of how we understand nature. The Romantic notions of nature as a
benifiscent spiritual reality came to be replaced by something closer to
Schopenhauer?s a great amoral force ?nature red in tooth and claw?. These
and other strands too complex to enumerate here came together to make the
romantic view of nature in the contemplative sense which Armin refers to
as untenable.

Many modernists defined themselves (and continue to) as anti-romantic Also
in method. To reject the romantic stance was also to reject the epiphanies
of being. High modernism produces a poetics which strips away the aura of
things, including the aura of the artist as romantic hero.

Interestingly this repudiation of the romantcism gives rise to a profound
poetics of its own which Roger Shatutuck has described as a poetics of
?juxtopisition?. This approach is to my mind more illuminating for our
networked media than unproblematised versions of romanticism articulated
thus far in this thread. To simplify (over simplify I know) the methods
developed by the modernists *make things appear* or *to bring them into
presence* Not in the sense of the old romantic language of being, whereby
the object portrayed expresses a deeper reality; rather the illumination
occurs *between elements* . ?Its as though the words or the images set up
between them a force field which can capture a more intense energy?.

The romantics are an inescapable part of our heritage and a source of who
we modern westerners are (the good and the terrible) and although it is
true that this part of our heritage is often overlooked and falsified any
act of recuperation should also include a fuller account of the good
reasons why Romanticism was repudiated.

David Garcia