JSM | 2887@evidencelocker.net on Sat, 9 Apr 2005 14:51:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: [Ptp] no thanx/ De Appel:Amnesia or Arrogance?

Dear J. Kreutzfeldt,

I could sympathize with your reaction to the Radio Days at De Appel as a
'sell-out' if the show had been presented as a radical, pirate radio
station. If this had been the case, then I would have agreed that getting
permission to broadcast would be suspect. But Radio Days clearly presents
itself as a platform for 'an aural experience'. I quote from their
website:

   The project is intended as a platform for contemporary art and life:
sound-based artworks, storytelling, music, interviews or
media-intervention. As an aural experience, as a project connecting
distant places, confront opinions, and challenge relations between
participants and audience.

It seems to me that the challenge these curators put to themselves was how
to curate a contemporary art show on the radio, rather than in the
gannetllery spaces of De Appel. There may be aspects of the presented
content to criticize or even the concept of making a radio station for
this particular purpose, but to criticize the act of getting permission is
unjustified. Being radical is not simply the equivalent of acting
illegally. Personally I agree that the show is not radical, but I did not
expect it to be- since that was never its intention.

Jill Magid

Jill Magid
www.jillmagid.net
m.  +31.614877127