Ronda Hauben on Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:57:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> unix history

Have you taken a look at the unix articles that I did a while ago.

One article is Chapter 9 in our book which is online at

http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/ch106.x09

                 On the Early History and Impact of Unix
              Tools to Build the Tools for a New Millenium

There is also a chapter about Usenet in the book which gives background
on Unix as well

http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/ch106.x10

                  ON THE EARLY DAYS OF USENET:
           THE ROOTS OF THE COOPERATIVE ONLINE CULTURE

There's another very nice article about the early development of
Unix. It is

 http://skylla.wz-berlin.de/pdf/2000/ii00-101.pdf

Helmers, Sabine. 2000. Internet as a cultural space. Internet the
final frontier: An Ethnographer's Account.

There's another article about the history of BSD Unix by Kirk McKusick.
You can probably find a url online for it. If not write me an email
and I will try to locate it.

Also there is a special issue of the Amateur Computerist in honor
of the 25th anniversary of the birth of Unix. It includes an earlier
history I did of the birth and early development of Unix and also
an interview with John Lions who was one of the early Unix pioneers.
He tells some of how unix got to the universities as he and his colleagues
at the University of New South Wales helped to send out the book he
wrote about the Unix Kernal.

The issue is online in either text or pdf. The txt version is

http://umcc.ais.org/~jrh/acn/Back_Issues/Back_Issues%5b1993-1997%5d/ACN6-1.txt

The pdf version is also there at
http://umcc.ais.org/~jrh/acn/Back_Issues/Back_Issues%5b1993-1997%5d/ACN6-1.pdf

Good luck with your paper and let us know the url when you have it done.

Cheers

Ronda

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 z3118338@student.unsw.edu.au wrote:

> Hey
>
> has anyone out there got any good sources on unix history ... I have been
 <...>