nettime's_institutional_memory on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:35:18 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> you've got funds digest [fusco, jaeger]

Re: <nettime> art vs science
     coco fusco <animas999@yahoo.com>
Re: nettime-l-digest V1 #1560
     Timothy Jaeger - THING <timjaeger@thing.net>

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:18:24 -0800 (PST)
From: coco fusco <animas999@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> art vs science

Dear Ryan, Martha and others:

I wasn't trying to criticize all art/science
collaborations. However I agree with those who point
out that money always comes with strings attached, so
to assume that private monies from industry or public
monies from the department of defense will not entail
having to tow the line in some way is quite quixotic.
Students of today have no memory of another time, when
schools did not operate so blatantly according to
corporate models of management and measurement.

It is important to remember that artists and
scientists worked together before universities decided
that this was a way to bring more money into the arts,
before corporations decided to invest in these kinds
of joint ventures,etc. Who talks anymore about how
early photography experiments involved chemists, about
the ways that artists worked with doctors to create
uncanny anatomical studies in 2D and 3D, or even about
art/tech/science collaborations in the 60s that gave
rise to electronic art?

I have more faith in collaborations that are initated
by like minded individuals than those that are imposed
through funding agendas. While I do know of some
examples of art professors who find good ways to work
with scientists, I also know of many instances in
which these relations are forced and artificial. Too
often, grants demand that an artistic collaboration be
complete within a limited time period, and thus
simplistic artworks are the results. Too often,
artists make work about science that is illustrative
and uncritical and I frankly am not very interested in
attending exhibtions that look like high school
science fairs. Too often, hard scientists look down on
artists who they are forced to work with and expect
artists to act as decorative advertising- that
happened to several of my students a few years ago
when they asked to be included in a science conference
- the scientists wanted posters! Let's not forget that
despite the dreams of radical artists that they can
become experts and interventionists everywhere, most
scientists are fairly smug about their control over
their discourses. I have had some unsavory encounters
with very advanced neuroscientists who are absolutely
retrograde in their understanding of art and
pontificate during conferences about Romantic poetry's
link with the workings of the brain - yawn.  I have
colleagues who have tried to inject more critical
perspectives into the new technology/science programs
and have gotten ejected from their departments as
troublemakers. Suffice to say that the present
imperative to bring the arts together with the science
does not yield a perfect world or freedom of
association. As others have pointed out, the pressure
to bond with science has also justified the lack of
attention to other issues that affect arts education
and practice.

Coco
--- ryan griffis <grifray@yahoo.com> wrote:

> well, i don't know about the sciences taking a hit for art scenario.
> Take Jackie Stevens' analysis of the biotech/PR/culture industry for
> example.  http://rtmark.com/rockwell.html And there are enough ongoing
> collabs between science-based industry and art
 <...>