magister_ludi_retetemporum on Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:04:53 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> nofundedigest [guderian, miller, rosler]

Re: <nettime> fundigested [rosler, jaeger]
     Carl Guderian <blacque_jacques@yahoo.com>
     martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:01:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Carl Guderian <blacque_jacques@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> fundigested [rosler, jaeger]

--- nettime's_BMOC <nettime@bbs.thing.net> wrote:

> Re: <nettime> fundigest [rosler, hopkins]
>      martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
> De/fund/ed digest
>      Timothy Jaeger - THING <timjaeger@thing.net>

> Thirdly, I don't see this 'digital boom' that others have mentioned,
> nor do I see the jobs that it is preparing us for (Maya Texutre
> modeling?  .ASP/XML/CSS/Perl Programmer? I suppose these are out there
> but most rely on skills taught at trade schools, DeVRY, or
> self-taught..) I think Trebor Scholz has written about this. In fact,
> it seems that budget cuts are happening across the board. If the
> computing/arts department at UCSD can get additional funding that
> provides more research opportunities for graduate students, then me
> and my friends/fellow graduate students will be happy campers. ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Tim

How about cutting-edge sciences represented in older
media (sorta the opposite of new media's content
initally being older media)? As coincidence would have
it, I saw this email right after posting some work
(not mine) to my girlfriend's gallery website. It's
for an upcoming exhibition of paintings and works on
paper whose subject is photomicrographs of brain
cells, stem cells, anthrax bacilli and the AIDS virus.
And the odd sperm. The title translates, more or less,
as "Today's hot news is tomorrow's fishwrap"

http://www.galeries.nl/wijziggal.asp?galnr=684&sessionti=185463487

Carl
http://mail.yahoo.com