Aileen Derieg on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:01:41 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> de/fund/ed digest [rosler, hopkins]

Hi John,

You are right, of course, I am aware that external funding has become an
accepted practice in some fields in higher education here in Austria, and
probably everywhere else in Europe too, although I remember that it was
controversial some fifteen years ago. I agree with Martha, though, that it
makes no sense to me that people teaching in the humanities should be
expected to "produce external funding".

If university teachers are under pressure to devote more attention to
fundraising than to teaching, as I have heard from several people now, and
if university students are under (also financial) pressure to acquire
practical skills and fulfill requirements to finish as quickly as
possible, as I remember from some of the responses to Trebor Scholz' essay
on media arts education some time ago, then what is really the point of a
university education anymore? Why bother?

I'm old enough and sentimental enough to regard a university education as
something valuable and important, but I am beginning to wonder why anyone
would bother with the expense and stress of it now. And yes, I am asking
because I am concerned that we are headed in the same direction here.
Aileen

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, nettime's_educrat wrote:

> Re: <nettime> funding education?
>     martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
>     John Hopkins <jhopkins@uiah.fi>

> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:38:44 -0500