nettime's_educrat on Wed, 9 Mar 2005 05:35:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> de/fund/ed digest [rosler, hopkins]

Re: <nettime> funding education?
     martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
     John Hopkins <jhopkins@uiah.fi>

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:38:44 -0500
From: martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> funding education?

wait, this is not really an answer.
i really would like to know HOW someone teaching in the humanities is
expected to find money to support their research.
  It makes no sense because there is nothing to motivate funders.

form the link you forwarded:

'Despite significant increases in private donations to the UA's
endowment fund in recent years, White said, it's unrealistic to
expect private sources to make up the $34 million shortfall'

the above is in reference  to donations to a general fund, not monies
gone after by individual faculty members such as happens in the
sciences.

Unlike you, i seem to think it makes NO sense because it cannot
work--who would fund language teaching (German, not chinese)? In the
60s the DOD funded language RESEARCH because of its interest in AI
and related technical developments, but even they did not fund
language teaching. The army teaches in its own schools, such as the
monterey linguistic institute or whatever it is called these days.
  So please enlighten me if I am wrong.
I teach, by the way,as a full-time nonadjunct.

martha rosler

>It seems to me that you interpreted it exactly right.
>
>I teach as adjunct at a state university here in Oregon.  There's just no
>money for hiring tenured faculty when budgets are shrinking, costs are
>rising, and there's a glut of suckers like me who will teach as adjunct for
>a fraction of tenure-track full-time pay.
 <...>