Morlock Elloi on Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:59:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> In Praise of the Segue

It's just a phase in shortening of the attention span of the masses ...
eventually it will boil down to the single jingle, a single tone (2-3 notes for
the more classically educated ones.)

I mean, who is going to listen to the whole song?

Plan on starting sub-song indexing.

In the end, all there is are ring tones.

> The cultural changes wrought by the iPod and the MP3-trading movement are
> now well known, but here's something to add to the list: It seems that
> radio listening habits--or at least online radio listening habits--have
> been deeply affected as well. At a recent staff meeting at WFMU (where I
> do a regular music show), the station manager shocked most of us by urging
> all DJs to change the way our archived programs are accessed over the
> internet. Instead of the default format, where we offer just a single link
> to each two- or three-hour show, he strongly recommended that we make our
> archives accessible by individual song. The newest generation of music
> listeners, it turns out, is almost completely song-oriented, and is far
> more likely to click on a radio archive to hear a specific tune (as found
> on our online playlists using a search engine) than to sit through the
> entire show, no matter how brilliant the whole may be.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: