Michael Weisman on Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:42:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Where's the real debate on fair use, copyright, piracy?

This debate is explored and recapitulated fairly well in Larry Lessig's
books, including the latest one which is available 'free' for download.

Although Prof. Lessig lost his argument in the Eldred case, I think that
he could be described as a middle ground guy (and his arguments and
position change seasonally).  He recognizes the need for copyright,
trademark and other IP monopolies, and argues that there are other needs
against which to balance the rights of creators.  I wish he was a better a
historian; he frequently misses out on great historical facts and loads of
data supporting a looser IP regime, because Lessig's background is in
economics.  The economics arguments around IP are notoriously inaccurate
and unfounded.

Mike Weisman, JD, LLM