nettime's_dusty_archivist on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:44:31 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> if you hum a few freedoms, i could fake it digest [x5]

Re: <nettime> Oh! "Freedom!" (27 times) and al Qaeda
     t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
     "stevphen shukaitis" <stevphen@greenpeppermagazine.org>
     Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>
     ernie yacub <yacinfo@mars.ark.com>
     Mathieu O'Neil <oneil@homemail.com.au>

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:46:21 -0500
From: t byfield <tbyfield@panix.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Oh! "Freedom!" (27 times) and al Qaeda

mgoldh@well.com (Sat 01/22/05 at 03:05 AM -0500):

>  I don't know why bin Laden has it in for office buildings, but since
> he cut his teeth in the guerilla war against the soviets in
> Afghanistan, and since he has made it clear he believes he brought down
> the USSR through that, it's quite clear he has now focussed on the
> remaining "western" superpower.

He told us why, in the tape broadcast the day before the election:

     So I shall talk to you about the story behind those events and
     shall tell you truthfully about the moments in which the decision
     was taken, for you to consider. I say to you, Allah knows that it
     had never occurred to us to strike the towers. But after it
     became unbearable and we witnessed the oppression and tyranny of
     the American/Israeli coalition against our people in Palestine
     and Lebanon, it came to my mind. The events that affected my soul
     in a direct way started in 1982 when America permitted the
     Israelis to invade Lebanon and the American Sixth Fleet helped
     them in that. This bombardment began and many were killed and
     injured and others were terrorized and displaced. I couldn't
     forget those moving scenes, blood and severed limbs, women and
     children sprawled everywhere. Houses destroyed along with their
     occupants and high rises demolished over their residents, rockets
     raining down on our home without mercy. [...] And as I looked at
     those demolished towers in Lebanon, it entered my mind that we
     should punish the oppressor in kind and that we should destroy
     towers in America in order that they taste some of what we tasted
     and so that they be deterred from killing our women and children.

Analogy -- of a kind that seems pretty common among self-consciously
pious students of ancient religious writings, for whom correlating the
world now with image-laden texts is rule number one. OBL makes a similar
analogies elsewhere in the talk, but sometimes they come off as what
they are -- forced:

     But because it seemed to him [Bush] that occupying himself by
     talking to the little girl about the goat and its butting was
     more important than occupying himself with the planes and their
     butting of the skyscrapers.

Cryptome has a number of translations, and it's worthwhile comparing
them: < http://cryptome.org/us-eu-gap.htm >.

Cheers,