Heiko Recktenwald on Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:09:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> "non-commercial"? digest [stalder, geer]

>"How do you define commercial?" This has become my favorite thing to ask
>at CC events, and I have yet to receive a straight-forward reply.

Felix, why? Where are the problems?
Commercial is something like an action, that is carried out in a commercial
entity.
The animus lucri faciendi is essential, to become rich or whatever.
And we should make a difference between direct and indirect commercial
activities.
A direct commercial activitty would be Microsoft seeling Windows XP
whatever, an indirect commercial activity would be IBM selling servers with
Linux installed.

The big problem still seems to be to understand that copyright is a good
thing. GPL etc are an excercise of copyright, the copyright is still there.
Other ideas like "giving away to the public domain", that is possible in
germany now too, thanks to the revolutionary work of MPI etc, just makes
life easier for big vendors.

H.