Adam Anonyme on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:57:22 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Geert Wilders / Borders, borders, more borders

The ironies that need to be taken into account in the Coco/Patrice emails
are that you have, on the one hand, Geert Wilders, a right-wing,
anti-immigration MP; and, on the other hand, segregationist, right-wing
fundamentalism. The immediate qualification - and a very strong one - that
needs to be made here is that, of course, Islam as such is not inherently
right-wing nor fundamentalist; but, it must also be said, in its rising
fundamentalist manifestation around the world (not to mention the parallel
rise of Christian fundamentalism chez Bush), 'right-wing' slightly
understates the case. And, lest that qualification not be strong enough, let
me simply narrow my point to the following: the murder of an artist by
right-wing Islam. We're not talking about a person - or a group of people -
who value artistic liberalism, in other words, let alone such chestnuts of
the left as freedom of speech.
So, continuing with the ironies, you have - pace Paul Berman's recent book,
*Terror and Liberalism* - people who profess an open-minded, ostensibly
left-wing globalism, suddenly defending people further right than the
politicians they claim to abhor. The irony, then, is that you have people -
Fortuyn, Cheney, Wilders, Rumsfeld - on the crypto-racist offense against
*people further right than they are* - with the left just standing there,
not knowing which group to protest.
The irony, again, is that to knee-jerk react and label strong immigration
policies as 'Borders, borders and more borders' is to overlook the rather
obvious fact that the Muslim far-right is not exactly out to tear down any
walls - walls of gender, politics, religion, or even diet. I, for one,
certainly don't see any logic behind defending the religious right-wing in
the name of erasing borders. Pretend for a second that we're not talking
about Islam (though, to be clear, I am referring here to *radical* Islam,
ie. fundamentalist Islam), and that we have, say, a rising political
movement that subscribes to gender segregation, polygamy, arranged marriage,
and literally medieval religious law, and I could easily imagine that what
we've seen in the worldwide liberal protests against Bush-Cheney & Crew
would happen all over again against them. In other words, liberal protests
against this increasingly powerful right-wing group.
Instead... We claim that such protests (here, unfortunately, and to the
left's embarrassment, voiced only by far-right politicians) are really an
attempt to raise 'borders, borders and more borders'.
But why protest one right-wing, and not protest the other?
A brief answer to my own questions: because Wilders little immigration
program - or pogrom, perhaps - would unjustifiably affect thousands upon
thousands of people who are not fundamentalist Muslims; because to deny an
international presence in any country today is not only to shoot oneself in
the foot economically but to erect a fundamentalist blindfold of our own;
and, not by any stretch the last point, because rejecting right-wing
foreigners in the name of right-wing localists is a suicidal menu of
options.
My point is simply that while Wilders, Cheney, Le Pen, Bush, etc., launch
their doomed Crusades, it would do us well to consider a philosophy other
than 'an enemy of my enemy must therefore be my friend', lest we
accidentally extend invitations to people far more right-wing than today's
left seems capable of imagining.
It is, after all, deeply ironic to use the word 'racist' (however correctly
and justifiably) in the context of Fortuyn, but then to abandon the term -
or even stronger alternatives - when referring to segregationist,
fundamentalist Islam. Religious medievalism does not, for instance, allow
much room for a discussion group such as nettime.
The problem we're faced with is a confusion of protests on behalf of the
left; and a flat-footed, militant anti-foreignism on behalf of the right.
Between these choices we have to find a policy that *makes sense* - and that
plan must, by necessity, include a few borders. It's naive to protest Geert
Wilders and Dick Cheney but not the radical imam next door.