digital medea on Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:08:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Extreme Makeover theory of the U.S. presidency

Following the carpark theory of the same....

After spending more time than I would care to contemplating the role of the
Evangelicals, creationists, and nationalists in this election - everyone
buying into and trumpeting the faith, flag, and family mantra - I began to
think of the other ways in which Bush reflects (and manipulates) the
cultural zeitgeist.  It cannot simply be that millions of believers,
frightening as their proximity may be, have produced this outcome alone.  In
what sense, then, has Bush - and the Bush team - fashioned him as a figure
for our time? In what sense does he reflect and embody our cultural logic?
Why does he seem the right fit, the intuitive choice, for the millions who
are neither believers, nor war-mongers, but that voted for him regardless? I
want to know not just, `why Bush,' but `why Bush now'?

The cultural zeitgeist in our coalition of two, as I see it, is reflected
and shaped by the increasing number of television shows devoted to
"lifestyle" repair in the U.S. and the U.K.:  Extreme Makeovers, Queer Eye,
Changing Rooms, Changing Spaces, Trading Spouses, Wife Swap, Fat Nation, How
To Be a Property Developer, House Doctor, Too Close for Comfort, What Not To
Wear, Cosmetic Surgery, Britain's Youngest Mums and Dads, Britain's Worst
Wife, Time To Get Your House In Order!, and, of course, The Swan.

What, then, do we seem to want? Let's track the basic formula at the heart
of each of these programs:  we begin with a Problem, which is almost always
physical. We're too fat, too lazy, too ugly, too hairy, poorly dressed, out
of date and out of fashion, poorly organized, stuck in a rut. We have bad
habits, bad haircuts, personality disorders, and an unfortunate sense of
style. We have abusive friends and partners; no one supports us properly;
our Problem has made us into a social pariah.

What do we need? We desperately need, not just one person, but an entire
team of people to come in to Diagnose Our Problem.  We then need, with equal
desperation, to be abused by these `doctors', `lifestyle coaches', and
television hosts.  So, in the second part of the formula, these
quality-control experts swoop in, diagnose and then Display, not just for
the pleasure of the television audience, but for the subjects themselves.
They - we, by association, since we identify with the subjects - seem to
want not just to be assessed but to be punished sufficiently for having
allowed the Problem to emerge in the first place.  Yes, yes, I know, I
should have proper storage; I should not be wearing jeans from the 1980s,
unless they're vintage; I should known not to marry that asshole; I should
not have given birth to two adolescent boys who hate each other; I should
have known not to eat take away all the time, especially from McDonalds; I
should have known; I should have known.

In the third stage, Fixing occurs.  Whether it involves surgery or
construction, it always takes a team of experts and laborers.  On a
compressed time schedule, all the better to fit programming schedules but
also to assure us that this is all rather easy and therefore can be
sufficiently imagined, this team sets to work to Fix the Problem.  Much
blood, dust, screaming, insults, and furrowed brows follow.  The team will
hit a stumbling block and then forge on to the finish, the Unveiling of the
New and Improved.  Here we get the famous utterance: "I
am...so....so...beau-ti-ful!"

What is new about this formula? How is it different from the standard frog
--> prince, princess --> ogre transformations? How does it align with the
self-help books that line the shelves of every major bookstore? What is
different is the Team.  Essentially, this is outsourced self-help.  We don't
even know what the problem is: although we may have a vague sense of it - I
am just not beautiful - we don't know that our eyes are sunken, our chins
misshaped, our skin sallow.  This is not self-fashioning but expert and
administered improvement.  We surrender control over Diagnosis and
Correction.  We may submit our names for consideration - but often, I would
note, a friend or family submits our names for us (`he doesn't really know
it but we all think he is a total barbarian').  The intervention is
presented to us as almost magical - one day a team descends on our doorstep
and does their work and we awaken utterly transformed.  (In our comic book
dreams, of course, these transformations are equally magical but science
fiction and we cathect onto the hero/ine who has been not just improved but
made extraordinary.)

Where is Bush in all of this? He is the quintessential Recreated Man.  We
know about his `recovery' from alcohol and drugs, and this fits in well with
the Christian narrative of redemption, the prodigal son, and so forth.  We
also know about the many poachings of Reagan's persona - the clearing of the
brush at the ranch, etc.  But more needs to be said about that ridiculous,
down-home, good-old-boy, Texas accent.  He is an extraordinarily gifted
cheerleader - and I am going to write about that at some point - and we need
to acknowledge that, strange as it may seem, he is also gifted with his
voice.  It is not at all easy to change entirely one's mode of speaking, to
shift inflection, vowel sounds, and tonal registers.  Witness Sean Connery
in Hitchcock's Marnie, which after all turns on a question of pronunciation
(inn-surance vs. insure-ance):  the layering of posh New England over
working class Scottish is the vocal equivalent of the fake backdrops in the
Baltimore scenes.

In sum, Bush - with the assistance of that expert team - appears before us
as the successful product of an Extreme Makeover. It's not a question,
either, of exposing this aspect of his history.  Strangely, Kerry was held
to the obligation and burdens of continuity:  somehow who he was as a young
man was believed to be equivalent to, and to deeply inform, who he is now.
The Kerry team insisted on this continuity as well, despite the very slight
changes to his speech from 1971 to the present.  To combat the Swift Boat
Veterans ad sufficiently they would have had to abandon his past persona and
that was something they were not able to do - in order to make him as a
wartime president, he had to be `appointing for duty' once again.

On the other hand, most Americans know well that Bush has been, not just
saved and redeemed, but remade and recreated, and, for that reason, he is
familiar, comfortable, intuitively right.  For this reason, he did not need
to admit to making mistakes, absurd as it seems, because he had already
admitted to a fatal flaw of being and submitted to the team of experts for
his remaking.  We seem to suspect and even dislike people who will undergo
merely minor alterations.  This is the true scandal of Kerry's Botox
injections:  they were only cosmetic, a tinkering on the surface rather than
a wholesale recreation.  We can only trust in a team and its product.  Only
a major overhaul can achieve the semblance of authenticity. Bush, then, is
the authentically inauthentic president for our time.