Ronda Hauben on Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:16:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> influences

Hi Steve

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Steven Kite wrote:

> I am interested in how people on this list have their
> activism influenced by intellectuals such as Michael
> Hardt, Antonio Negri and Slavoj Zizek?

Is there some particular reason you are asking this?

I want to propose a slightly different question. I wonder how much Michael
Hardt, Antonio Negri etc recognize the needs of our times and are able to
learn from the people who are active to try make our world a better place.

To me there seems a disconnect. It doesn't seem that they try
to learn from the movements and the developments of our times
but that they have a theory they offer.

It would be good if they were interested in trying to understand our times
and the challenges of people who are struggling for something better for
themselves and for the future.

So it isn't exactly that Hardt, Negri etc affect our activism,
but that our activism does not adequately affect them.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Ronda

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/