valery.grancher on Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:31:00 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> webpaintings history

Hello,

Hereafter some news about the webapintings project and its consequence,
it has started on 1998, and is now copied by various international
artist !
I am very pleased to have been the first to paint webpage and to see
that this idea is starting a new kind of revolution in artworld world
wild:
First I was influenced by the great german artist Blank and Jeron who
did 'dumb your trash" on 1997:
They are making sculpture on marble from webpages:
http://sero.org/dyt/
Second I was influenced by the great greek artist Miltos Manetas with
his computer and wires paintings:
http://www.manetas.com/splash/index.htm
So I started on 1998 the "Pump your page" project:
http://www.nomemory.org/pump/index2.html
and the same year i initiated the "webpaintings" project:
http://www.nomemory.org/webpaint
On 1999 Carlo Zanni sent me an email to show me his great paintings he
started to produce on the end on 1998:
http://www.zanni.org/html/empty.htm
On 1999 Ola Pehrson did a terrific installation, one of my favourite
called "Desktop":
http://www.olapehrson.com/desktop/index.html
This installtion is confronting computer icons as sculpture, paintings,
physical space and virtuality by streaming on real time through a webcam
a viwe of this installtion: on the screen a new windows 95 screen is
appearing !
In Russia a friend of Olia Liliana called Masha Moriskina painted
http://www.rhizome.org screen on paper with pencil and gouache (2000): A
terrific drawing.
http://art.teleportacia.org/exhibition/masha/rhizome.jpg
Then on 2001 after the big and crazy emergence of google, I perceived it
as the perfect new internet icon and I produced in Miltos Manetas place
(electronic orphanage) in Los Angeles the "google painting" (september
2001):
http://www.nomemory.org/webpaint/data/googleoil.htm
Shown in Artsonje center in Seoul and Gwangjyu "less ordinary" show on
2002 in south Korea.
On 2002  the british artist Thomson and Craighead produced a e-bizness:
http://www.dot-store.com
dealing with off line net art pieces and one of them is "google tea
towels" which is a best seller:
http://www.dot-store.com/pages/teatowels.html
i have boght all the four for my personnal collection, this eally one of
the nest webpaings I have ever seen.
Still on 2002 Miltos Manetas has done a great project called "internet
paintings":
http://www.manetas.com/internetpaintings/
On 2003 exonemo (http://www.exonemo.com) produced a project called
"Natural process" by mixing and copying two pieces by two artist:
"Desktop" 1999 by Ola Pehrson, and "Google paintings" by me: "Natural
process flow":
http://www.exonemo.com/NP/indexE.html
shon on beging 2004 at Mori art Museum and sold  to google on May 2004.

We can see that through this tiome line a great revolution is starting
and may be subject of a terrific collective show including all of these
artists with a great catalog !

read also the conceptual statement of webpaintings!
http://www.nomemory.org/webpaint/data/text2.htm

Yours

Valery Grancher
http://www.nomemory.org