patrice on Tue, 11 May 2004 11:36:38 +0200 (CEST)

[no subject]

   Le Monde diplomatique

                               May 2004

                            In this issue:
    ... Iraq, looting the land, uniting the resistance; the US and
     New Europe; Greek Cyprus votes no; Sudan's other war; Peru's
     secret shame .. plus voices of resistance on our planet, our
                   women, our causes... and more...

     You can have our new print edition delivered direct to your
     door. Subscriptions include online access to all articles on
     our website.

     To subscribe, click here to be taken to our secure server.
     https://www.granta.com/mondediplo

Resistance

by Ignacio Ramonet

                                       Translated by Gulliver Crag

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/01resistance>

HIGH-RISK ELDORADO FOR US CORPORATIONS

Iraq: a licence to loot the land *

by Ibrahim Warde

     The current insurrection in Iraq uniting Sunnis and Shia
     against the occupation, the solidarity of the resistance in
     Falluja, the return of Iraqi nationalism (as well as the
     first withdrawals of coalition forces) are reducing the
     United States' margin for manoeuvre and forcing it to seek
     United Nations support for its military presence in Iraq. Yet
     US companies closely linked to the Bush administration are
     still making big profits, only partly checked by precarious
     security in Iraq.

                                          Translated by the author

US FAILURE HELPS REVIVE THE OLD PAN-ISLAMIC PROJECT

Iraq: all together against the occupation

by Juan Cole

     Washington never predicted, even never seemed to consider
     that the most successful way to revive Iraqi nationalism, and
     beyond that Arab nationalism, was to occupy the country and
     treat it contemptuously and rapaciously: this has created
     unexpected alliances between enemies.

                                          Original text in English

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/03iraqinationalism>

'EASTERN BLOC COUNTRIES CLUNG TO THE ILLUSION THEY COULD BECOME FULL
ALLIES WITH THE US'

New Europe and the United States *

     Ten new states joined the European Union on 1 May. This is a
     historic moment for the United States, which has been
     promoting enlargement for years, convinced it will increase
     US influence. With political crisis in Poland and deadlock in
     Cyprus, such hopes are ill-founded.

                                       Translated by Harry Forster

Who loves the US and who doesn't

by Thomas Schreiber

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/05usleadership>

The Polish-American connection

by Thomas Schreiber

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/06polishamerican>

Cyprus: saying no to the future

by Niels Kadritzke

     In April 76% of Greek Cypriots voted against the United
     Nations reunification plan and 65% of Turkish Cypriots voted
     in favour, rejecting Turkish nationalism. This Greek
     chauvinism means the island stays divided, though its entry
     to Europe would have helped reunification.

                                      Translated by Gulliver Cragg

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/07cyprus>

'REDUCING THE NUMBER OF BIRTHS PER WOMAN TO REDUCE POVERTY MADE
MATHEMATICAL SENSE TO FUJIMORI. ANY METHOD OF BALANCING THE EQUATION
WAS VALID'

Peru: the scandal of forced sterilisation *

by Françoise Barthélémy

     Peru's government wants to extradite former President Alberto
     Fujimori from sanctuary in Japan in connection with
     assassinations in the 1990s. But his government's eugenic
     policy, which encouraged the sterilisation of 300,000 women
     from poor Amerindian communities, has not been mentioned

                                        Translated by Julie Stoker

'TRADITIONAL CONFLICT CONTROL HAS CRUMBLED'

Sudan: war in Darfur *

by Jean-Louis Péninou

     Darfur in western Sudan has been ravaged for over a year by
     conflict that has left thousands dead and caused an exodus of
     refugees to Chad. The humanitarian disaster is overshadowed
     by the fragile peace talks between the culturally and
     ethnically different north and south. The national equation
     remains unsolved.

                                          Translated by Paul Jones

VOICES OF THE RESISTANCE

France: racism is indivisible *

by Dominique Vidal

     The media claim that France has a major problem with
     anti-semitism and it is true that violence in the Middle East
     has led to anti-Jewish attacks, which must be fought, as must
     all racism. But to accuse anyone who criticises the Israeli
     government of hating Jews aggravates the evil.

                                        Translated by Barry Smerin

Anti-semitism in the Arab world

by Dominique Vidal

                                        Translated by Barry Smerin

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/11antisemitismarabia>

Palestine: a universal cause *

by Etienne Balibar

     The Israel-Palestinian conflict remains a danger to the whole
     world, yet the external world cannot enforce or even broker a
     satisfactory resolution to it. But the world must know about
     what has happened and care about what is happening; and press
     for justice for both sides.

             Translated by the author with help from Bruce Robbins

No more elsewheres *

by Albert Jacquard

     Earth is our only home. And we have explored, colonised and
     exploited every part of it; we know now that its resources
     are finite and that we have already damaged its
     eco-structure. Can we learn to live in harmony with it for
     the sake of future generations?

                                          Translated by Paul Jones

Not equal yet *

by Christine Delphy

     The often-repeated claim that women's equality has already
     been achieved is not only untrue, it damages women's
     self-esteem. Women have to be convinced they deserve their
     rights and roused to go on fighting for them, since the world
     is still hugely unequal.

                                      Translated by Gulliver Cragg

ENGLISH-LANGUAGE BOOKS DOMINATE WORLD PUBLISHING

Lost without translation

by Pierre Lepape

     It's clear from the annual Frankfurt book fair, the world's
     largest, that books originally written in English are
     displacing books in other languages and from other
     traditions. Big international publishing conglomerates, the
     demands of book chains and declining sales all narrow the
     range of what's available to read.

                                      Translated by Gulliver Cragg

     <http://MondeDiplo.com/2004/05/15literature>

That certain smile *

by Veronica Horwell

                                          Original text in english

       (empty) e-mail to:
            dispatch-on@monde-diplomatique.fr

       To unsubscribe from this list, send an (empty) e-mail to:
            dispatch-off@monde-diplomatique.fr

       English language editorial director: Wendy Kristianasen