nettime's international court of justice on Wed, 5 May 2004 20:19:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Civil and human Rights [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> Civil and human Rights (from indymedia)
     Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>

   Re: <nettime> Civil and human Rights (from indymedia)
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 19:08:45 +0100
From: Benjamin Geer <ben@socialtools.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Civil and human Rights (from indymedia)

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
>>>A confessed murder, well, this is history, like the confessed murderers in
>>>Poland and elsewhere, who evicted major parts of the population after WW
>>>2. 30 years is enough.
>>
>>Do you therefore also believe that, for example, it was wrong to
>>extradite Klaus Barbie from Bolivia and put him on trial in France in
>>1987, 40 years after the fact?
>
> Beautifull question, this is really another topic.
>
> Those were crimes against humanity and two countries were involved.

A 'crime against humanity' should be punished, but not the murder of
four human beings and the paralysis of a fifth?  'Two countries were
involved': crimes against states should be punished, but not crimes
against individuals?

> Here we have the question if we want peace in Italy.

Sorry, I don't understand: you think peace in Italy depends on what
happens to Battisti?

There seems to be a broad consensus in Italy about 1970s leftist
terrorist groups: even Refondazione comunista has declared that
non-violence is the the only acceptable form of struggle.  The Italian
press, both left and right, has reacted with incomprehension and
indignation to the support that prominent French intellectuals have
voiced for Battisti.

So it seems that many Italians would feel more peaceful about this
particular matter if Battisti were returned to Italy, and would even be
prepared to forgive him if he repented.  But if he remains unrepentant,
why should he be forgiven?  To turn around well-known slogan, how does
injustice promote peace?

Ben

------------------------------

> A 'crime against humanity' should be punished, but not the murder of
> four human beings and the paralysis of a fifth?  'Two countries were
> involved': crimes against states should be punished, but not crimes
> against individuals?

You are missing the point. The question is not if it was murder, but if
there should be an amnesty. The legal system is not everything, see the
things that happened at Geneva.

And I think 30 years are enough for an amnesty.

Best, H.