Matze Schmidt on Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:15:12 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Marion von Osten: email interview with Brian Holmes

hi,

> Marion: [...] This was a critique
> put forth by feminism as well, which claimed other forms of labor
>[...] immaterial labor [...] And how, if so, can we free this term from
>that classical concept and develop a term that reflects non-work,
>care-work, the production of the social, etc., not only out of a
>perspective of capitalist accumulation?

i guess there is a problem in Marion's concept of asking: she is 1.
focussing the *form* of work not it's relations (Verhaeltnisse) and
in a 2. step she is considering apparently 'new forms' of work as
"non-work, care-work, the production of the social".

and when brian holmes is answering:
>It is the fact that the technical conditions
>which provided a justification for the existence and exploitation of
>salaried labor in the Fordist period have changed entirely without any
>substantial change in the basic social relations.

i cannot see why the capital should change the basis conditions of
salaried labour and the social relations. the prize of labour /
computerized service or not / still includes all so called unpayed work
("care-work, the production of the social", in short: all "affective
work" or _reproduction_), to pay more to the worker would increase profit.

sure, reproduction is not exploited work (work to produce surplus
value) but is partly importand for capitalist accumulation (reproduction
means consuming=buying goods on the market). all affective work which is
not part of the capitalist accumulation (which is not sold to an
employer or on the market) takes no part in the system of producing and
exchanging of wares anyway. and all affective work which has to deal
with _dealing_ (selling not only energy of labour but energy AND time of
work, the performance) becomes exploited work.

best