olia lialina on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:00:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Internet creativity: Open Sources, Open Borders

hi

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] David Gonzalez wrote:
>

>>.....even though i really admire geert and jonah 's thougth and work and i
>>think they deserve the best of all... what is really funny to see is how
>>the Spanish ministry of Science and Technology that has never given an
>>euro for digital art in Spain and has never shown any kind of interest to
>>support art and science collaborations in the art context or at their own
>>universities within their research programs in Spain now appear as "in the
>>mood", or as a cool Ministry involved with high tech questions and even in
>>a "international context"...great!

Though I was a member of the jury and am confident with Open Source-
Open Borders and Umbrella.net as the winners, there was a question for
me as well why has the Spanish Ministry - by making this contest
international - a priori considered to give away so much of Spanish
money? Why would a national ministry be interested in some international
ado instead of trying to appear generous for the national scene,
artists, press? Wouldn't it be more "cool"?

On another hand, don't forget about ARCO. The contest took place in the
frame of the international art fair where gallerists, collectors and
other contemporary art figures were showing off with their potential. So
did El Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología - showing its money and
intention. It is a good precedent for Spanish artists and researches to
demand more attention to themselves. And a wave of critique is a good
chance that they will get it.

with hope

olia

--