nettime's_opinion_digga on Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:44:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> wrong signals [Dickson, Garcia, Hagenlocher]

   Re: <nettime> wrong signals
     Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>

   Re: <nettime> wrong signals
     "David Garcia" <davidg@xs4all.nl>

   RE: <nettime> wrong signals
     Curt Hagenlocher <curth@motek.com>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:57:50 +0000
From: Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: <nettime> wrong signals

In message <200312151231.hBFCVnr23483@bbs.thing.net>, David Garcia
<davidg@xs4all.nl> writes

>If symbols really do matter we might conclude that American
>administration's PR machine has got it badly wrong. In the carefully
>orchestrated news management of Saddam's capture, once again, the public
>opinion which *really* matters in the middle east: Arab public opinion,
>has been conclusively misread
>
>The image of an Arab leader (however terrible) being objectivised by a
>white gloved American medic like a bug on a lab bench, will not be read in
>the Arab world as a moment of liberation.
Really?

The pictures I saw (on the BBC) of cheering crowds in Iraq seemed to
indicate that lots of people in Iraq, those who know SH best, are quite
pleased with the turn of events.

They certainly seem convinced that it is SH, and not a stand in. (Though
I'm sure it is just a matter of time before it is suggested that the
entire think was done with Hollywood FX, and SH still lives free).

As to "Arab Public Opinion", that would the public opinion of those
inhabitants of the bastions of democracy and pluralism that comprise the
Arab world?

I wonder how strongly their public opinion matches their private ones?
After all the apparent public opinion in Iraq prior to the war was one
of a fight to the death, lead by the great SH himself.

My wife remembers her childhood in the USSR in which there were regular
spontaneous demonstrations, which it was a transgression NOT to attend.
Attendance and apparent enthusiasm did not represent real views, and
within a few months of it becoming possible to show true feelings,
Lithuania regained its independence.

Of course that is not so say that the US is not making some big errors
(Guantanemo Bay (sp?) is an abomination, not pushing Israel into a
sensible two contiguous state settlement just keeps the wound festering,
bombing children instead of risking soldiers etc).

Cheers
- --
ian dickson                                  www.commkit.com
phone +44 (0) 1452 862637                    fax +44 (0) 1452 862670
PO Box 240, Gloucester, GL3 4YE, England

           "for building communities that work"