geert lovink on Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:21:28 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> wsis digest no. 4

World Summit on Information Society
Nettime Digest, no. 4 December 11, 2003

(I arrived in Geneva today. In between all activities I made this quick
digest. It also contains some 'old' info. Over the weekend I hope to
compile more actual information. For more 'live' information please visit
the http://www.dailysummit.net/ blog and www.geneva03.org for counter
summit updates. Geert)

- Reports from We Seize! by Stefan Merten (Oekonux)
- Report of Hans Klein/Georgia Tech
- Global media struggle to define 'freedom'
- Radio Non Grata forced off the air
- Nations Chafe at U.S. Influence Over the Internet
- Human Right Causus Concerned about Outcome
- Mapping Geneva Project (Bureau d'Etudes)
- Assuming the GCNP position
- Migration, labour, media and organizing
- Alles nicht so schlimm (Florian Rötzer)
- WSIS text by Garth Graham

From: "Stefan Merten" <smerten@oekonux.de>
Subject: [ox-en] Report from "We Seize!"

Hi!

While being here in Geneva I also can try to report on what is
happening here at the "We Seize!" events. I don't know, however,
whether this is possible on the other days.

Monday has been the second day of preparation of the "We Seize!"
(after a year of online preparation). It started with a press
conference in the morning.

Press conference
- ----------------

* Jamie King who is one of the main organizers made a declaration you
  can find under

http://www.geneva03.net/moin.cgi/PressCommunique

  (At the moment this page is truncated :-( .)

  One of the key points is that at "We Seize!" people who kind of live
  the information society already are gathering instead of some
  political leaders.

* The "We Seize!" event has not been planned to be a big event.
  Instead people from all over the world can participate online.

* The program has been outlined. Please check

http://www.geneva03.net/

  for an up-to-date snapshot.

* The streaming during the conference is made possible for "zero cost"
  by Free Software.

* Besides freedom of communication mentioned in the declaration
  freedom of knowledge was highlighted.

* The "Digital Divide" is never digital. Instead it is monetary.

* When accessing the Internet it is important to know how you can use
  it. This differs much from people getting connected to some business
  channels. Free Software is at the very base of this know how.

* If software is the basis of the information society putting
  copyrights on software is like putting a copyright on language. Also
  proprietary software sets the terms which people have to use to
  communicate. Free Software frees people to choose these terms
  individually.

* It is important to prevent technological fetishism as it can be seen
  in the official WSIS to some degree (e-everything). Instead the
  people should be the most important thing.

* Free Software and its importance has been mentioned in many
  contributions.

* "We Seize!" has been named to make clear that we just take what we
  need instead of waiting what "they" give us.

* Besides Internet streaming other media is used by re-broadcasting
  the digital streams (radio, television). Also the "We Seize!" uses
  these type of media itself (particularly in the Polymedia Lab).

* Internet is a cheaper media than other regulated media.

* Program of Strategic Conference has been settled now. [Which changed
  since the press conference.] There are even printed versions.

* The key concept of "We Seize!" is to show autonomy, demonstrating
  networking, sharing of knowledge, and so on. Demonstrations on the
  street are not seen as a good way to show this autonomy.

* The wanted outcome of "We Seize!" is to have some substantial
  discussions, to learn something, check out practical solutions, show
  autonomy, connect groups which are subject to the same issues.

* There are attempts to organize self-organized networks independent
  from e.g. ICANN. This sort of networks becomes more important as the
  commercial networks prevent free flow of information. This is
  parallel to the success of Free Software.

* The commercial factions have more disagreement between themselves
  than to the Free Movement (e.g. IBM/HP vs. M$). The Free movement
  can grow in the cracks between these factions.

* CRIS published "We Seize!" in the official program. "We Seize!"
  itself has no relationship to the official process. CRIS has a foot
  in both areas.

In the afternoon the second part of the preparation took place. It was
mainly concerned with laying out the Strategic Conference
(http://www.geneva03.net/moin.cgi/StrategicConference). Actually the
first two sessions have been merged and the rest stayed as it was.

Tuesday was planned as the first day of the Strategic Conference.
However, it has not started yet. The reason is that the police is at
the location where the Polymedia Lab takes place. I don't know about
the details yet but I understood that the police lets people out of
the location only when they take all the equipment with them. Of
course this is unacceptable because part of the "We Seize!" event
should take place there. As far as I understood there is an agreement
of the owner of the location to have the Polymedia Lab there and for
instance people received a key for the location but there is no
written contract. At the moment there should be some negotiation
there. In other words: It's all the same as usual...

Sorry, this is all more or less rumour. What I know, however, is that
most of the people went to Polymedia Lab (I'm in the Usine at the
moment) and the conference is at least delayed. So much about
autonomy...

Actually there is not much to say about Tuesday. As could have been
expected the police action in the morning dominated the whole day and
so Tuesday is lost for the conference.

In the afternoon / early evening there has been a general assembly
where a dominating majority has been very much interested in
negotiations with the city council, protest actions which could be
taken, and the like. There were some people which were more interested
in having the conference because this was the reason they came to
Geneva but this played no big role.

As far as I understood the PolyMediaLab will take place in some other
space which has been made available by the city council. Day 2 of the
conference shall take place today while Day 1 is moved to tomorrow.

One note: I'm just reporting in some detail on what I find
interesting. So this does not claim to be complete in any way.

So actually the conference started on Wednesday. There is some IRC
channel set up for the conference:

irc.indymedia.org:6667 #sconf

It is projected on the screen in the conference room and it is logged at

http://irclogs.indymedia.org.uk/sconf/2003-12-10.html

I have been a bit late to the first session which was titled "INFOWAR:
REPORTS FROM THE FRONT". It was attended by about 30+ persons.

When I entered the session there was a presentation run by Jesus
Rogriguez (Venezuelan Community Media) (AFAIK) telling about the
situation in Venezuela in quite some breadth and detail. As someone
said even the topic of media has been touched at the beginning of the
presentation.

Just one impression from the discussion I found interesting. The
speaker said something that there is even too much freedom of
information in Venezuela. This has been picked up in the discussion.
To me there was an interesting differentiation between freedom to
create content and the freedom of access.

After that there was a presentation of Sasha Costanza-Chock (FTAA IMC
http://ftaaimc.org). He talked about all sorts of repression headed
against the Indymedia Center reporting on some protests and against
the protests themselves. He also presented some videos from the
physical events (you can not film a denial-of-service attack, can
you?).

I have also been a bit late to the second session which was titled
"HACK_IT!". It was attended by about 30+ persons. I don't have any
idea whether I missed some presentation or there has been none. The
discussion was quite interesting and there was also a rather Oekonuxy
thread in it.

[Please refer to the logged IRC stream because it is a quite good
documentation.]

The third session was titled "AUTONOMOUS MEDIA". It was attended by
about 30+ persons. Actually the persons which attended the sessions
were more or less the same BTW. However, the third session has been
attended by some persons which had come especially for that session.

This session has been started by DeeDee Halleck (DeepDish TV) from USA
who is into community radio. She mentioned a conference back in 1979
called WORK and showed a film from that time. The basic message as far
as I understood is the scarcity of bandwith / frequencies is a
problem. Then she went on telling about the news program "Democracy
Now!" which is produced by DeepDish for instance where it is
broadcasted in the USA.

After that there was a presentation by someone from hackitectura.net.
This project is about hacking architecture.

[Please refer to the logged IRC stream.]

After that some guy from South Korea made a presentation about the
projects he is involved in.

[Please refer to the logged IRC stream.]

Actually only the hackitectura.net presentation had some discussion
while the other presentations did not provoke any reaction. It was
interesting that a lot of people had laptops on their knees and you
never knew whether they are busy taking notes or check their email or
what else. So one of the features of real space meetings - you can see
whether people stilll pay attention - vanishes in such a setup.

Mit Freien Grüßen

Stefan

--

WSIS Video Diaries