nettime's_third_thumb on Mon, 8 Dec 2003 04:12:45 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> master, commander, critic digest [dickson, . __ ., hettinga]

Re: <nettime> Master and Commander - critical theory reviews?
     Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>
     ". __ ." <mail_box@gmx.net>
     "R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:44:52 +0000
From: Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Master and Commander - critical theory reviews?

In message <200312060649.hB66nRC09768@bbs.thing.net>, Nicholas Kiersey
<nkiersey@vt.edu> writes

>Dear Nettime,
>
>Just wondering if anyone has seen any critical reviews of the new
>Russell Crowe flic 'Master and Commander'. I have heard some discuss it
>as an apologia for the US invasion of Iraq but, while I am dubious of
>some of the movie's representations, I am having a hard time swallowing
>that particular connection.

Then, as the bishop said to the actress, don't swallow.

Reviews don't seem to support this theory.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/MasterandCommanderTheFarSideoftheWorld-11
27359/

Nor does the timeline. Implies that it was shot during summer 2002.
Which is , er, before Iraq.

http://www.peterweircave.com/master/

Feel free however to create wonderful interpretations based on the War
Against Terror:-)

Me, I'll have to wait for video. As a father of young kids I do miss
going to the cinema.

Cheers
--
ian dickson                                  www.commkit.com
phone +44 (0) 1452 862637                    fax +44 (0) 1452 862670

           "for building communities that work"