Nettime's Disconnected Digestion on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:08:46 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> NME Disconnects - Rabie & Dickinson

Table of Contents:

   Re: <nettime> NME and Its Disconnects [Dickinson, Holmes]
     joseph rabie <joe@overmydeadbody.org>

   Re: <nettime> New Media Education and Its Disconnects
     Ian Dickson <ian@iand.demon.co.uk>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:00:38 +0200
From: joseph rabie <joe@overmydeadbody.org>
Subject: Re: <nettime> NME and Its Disconnects [Dickinson, Holmes]

>In my opinion the fundamental error of Marxist practice (as opposed to
>theory) lies in your last paragraph. It always seems to (at best) a
>smothering of dissent and debate, and at worst, Gulags.

POSTSCRIPT

I have to say, Ian, that I am always amazed, I almost admire, people
like you with your blind optimism in the market, in the belief that it
can fundamentally do no wrong, because supply and demand and the forces
of competition push itinevitably towards "the greatest good". Corporate
Capitalism does not have its Gulags, it kills softly. Ask the Koreans
 dying of Leukemia, to whom Novartis refuses to drop prices on drugs
that cost 10s of dollars a shot, and who use Intellectual Property to
prevent the manufacture of generics. Ah, I forgot, profits are sacred,
not people. Ask the millions of dying Africans, that quite simply do not
represent a viable market for life saving drugs (but on occasion make
good guinea pigs for testing drugs that only the rich will afford).

Joe.