Ian Dickson on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:29:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Linux strikes back III

>But now there's a problem. The Linux software in the router is distributed
>under the GNU General Public License (GPL), which the Free Software
>Foundation created in 1991.
>
>Under the license, if you distribute GPL software in a product, you must
>also distribute the software's source code. And not just the GPL code, but
>also the code for any "derivative works" you've created--even if
>publishing that code means anyone can now make a knockoff of your product.

I'm in commercial private business, and to be honest, companies know
what the GPL licence says and if they don't like it they shouldn't use
Linux.

Shed no tears for them. (And watch as "do you have Linux / Open Source
in your code" becomes a core due diligence question).

As to this meaning that Linux won't take over the world, where is the
surprise in that? Only a few dreamers ever thought that it would.

In essence the GPL means that it is mad for a commercial company to
build on Linux in any area where they want revenue, and can't afford to
commoditise it.

But without the GPL most programmers who contribute to the Linux effort
wouldn't, (because they would be upset that their work is captured,
without pay, by "for profit" companies).

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Cheers
--
ian dickson                                  www.commkit.com
phone +44 (0) 1452 862637                    fax +44 (0) 1452 862670

           "for building communities that work"