Are Flagan on Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:55:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Request to Nettime to be part of DISTRIBUTED CREATIVITY online forum with Eyebeam

Re: 9/25/03 20:02, "Beth R." <bethr@eyebeam.org>:

> So, please tell me if Nettime is interested in this for one week in
> November/December.

Who would actually decide and how, on what grounds, would they -- or she or
he -- decide? Or will this be the first (?) vote in nettimeocracy? Or will
it be polled on the basis of yeah or nay from the focus group of whoever
opines on the subject? Or will the gateway moderators ultimately weigh in to
speak for and on behalf of the subscribers? Or will the founding fathers
invoke their constitution to join this proposed union? Your presumptions
voiced in the one sentence above raise many questions about the nature of
community, about distribution versus hierarchy and, even, creativity.

So, since this, as you describe it, cross-pollinating call for an expanding
community is in essence a mating call echoed across the globe daily (and it
is thus not in any way uncommon or unfamiliar to anyone) will "nettime"
participation in this, yours and our, super-community cost anything? Say,
$5?

I would, personally, be happy to provide a commissioned essay for the final
publication. My English (your lingua franca, no?) is OK and I own a computer
with word-processing software. I have Internet access. How much are you
paying?

Sincerely,

-af

PS:
I am also very much intrigued by the "cross-pollination technical issues"
mentioned. Can you elaborate on this at all?

> Our technical team consisting of Richard Chung & Vivian Selbo will be working
on cross-pollination technical issues with each community organization.