Brian Holmes on Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:54:42 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Reverse Engineering Freedom and make world paper#3

David Garcia writes:

>There are many hells in this world and many (admittedly by no means
>all) of the worst occur when not only through oppressive by states,
>but when states break down.

Without going so far as Gide's "fear and trembling" (David, does
rhetorical excess produce rhetorical counter-excess?) I'd say that
politics is all about the relation between markets, governments and
voluntary associations (or "civil society" but the term's gotten too
heavily freighted). These three poles can be found to varying degrees
in all modern social activity: David is right to point out how much
of our freedom depends on collective frameworks, someone else would
point out that market-oriented activities have contributed most of
our tools as well (I'd have some return arguments there, in fact I'd
have pages and chapters of social theory on how the balances between
the three poles could change, how markets could transform from the
current price-fixing ones, how state functions could be reinvented
etc. - but the point can stand for the moment). The internet has
given a big boost to the possibilities of voluntary association, and
that's where Geert and Florian's tributes to freedom are interesting,
because they're trying to encourage some collective initiative. And
for good reasons, cause it's currently the most interesting game in
town. But I'd say the point is both to continually try to carve out
more space for these free associations, and to gauge the effects
they're having on the ongoing stories of market and state. Because
both those awesomely powerful realities show no signs of going away
tomorrow - except maybe in the realm of "failed states," which, I'd
like to point out, are a very prominent feature of the current period
of transnational state capitalism as practiced by the powerful
corporations and countries, at the expense of the weaker ones. A
little decay and global chaos is just part of the price for keeping
up the rapacious resource extraction and military/ideological
control. There's a state of affairs that the free associates ought to
try and transform - maybe with some more precise strategies than we
currently have on the table. Which is not to say that the last 4 or 5
years of activism have been entirely unfruitful....

best to all, Brian