Benjamin Geer on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:12:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> If you can't beat them, monetize them!

Patrice Riemens wrote:
> SCO invites open source people to 'monetize' Linux

A snappy reply from Linus Torvalds, which nicely sums up the crux of the
issue:

-----------

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/10/2321224.shtml?tid=11

Dear Darl,

Thank you so much for your letter.

We are happy that you agree that customers need to know that Open Source
is legal and stable, and we heartily agree with that sentence of your
letter. The others don't seem to make as much sense, but we find the
dialogue refreshing.

However, we have to sadly decline taking business model advice from a
company that seems to have squandered all its money (that it made off a
Linux IPO, I might add, since there's a nice bit of irony there), and
now seems to play the U.S. legal system as a lottery. We in the Open
Source group continue to believe in technology as a way of driving
customer interest and demand.

Also, we find your references to a negotiating table somewhat confusing,
since there doesn't seem to be anything to negotiate about. SCO has yet
to show any infringing IP in the Open Source domain, but we wait with
bated breath for when you will actually care to inform us about what you
are blathering about.

All of our source code is out in the open, and we welcome you to point
to any particular piece you might disagree with.

Until then, please accept our gratitude for your submission,

Yours truly,

Linus Torvalds

-----------

And from Eric Raymond and Bruce Perens:

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/09/2355214.shtml?tid=11

Mr. McBride, in your "Open Letter to the Open Source Community" your
offer to negotiate with us comes at the end of a farrago of falsehoods,
half-truths, evasions, slanders, and misrepresentations. You must do
better than this. We will not attempt to erect a compromise with you on
a foundation of dishonesty.

Your statement that Eric Raymond was "contacted by the perpetrator" of
the DDoS attack on SCO begins the falsehoods. Mr. Raymond made very
clear when volunteering his information and calling for the attack to
cease that he was contacted by a third-party associate of the
perpetrator and does not have the perpetrator's identity to reveal. The
DDoS attack ceased, and has not resumed. Mr. Raymond subsequently
received e-mailed thanks for his action from Blake Stowell of SCO.

Your implication that the attacks are a continuing threat, and that the
President of the Open Source Initiative is continuing to shield their
perpetrator, is therefore not merely both false and slanderous, but
contradictory with SCO's own previous behavior. In all three respects it
is what we in the open-source community have come to expect from SCO. If
you are serious about negotiating with anyone, rather than simply
posturing for the media, such behavior must cease.

In fact, leaders of the open-source community have acted responsibly and
swiftly to end the DDoS attacks — just as we continue to act swiftly to
address IP-contamination issues when they are aired in a clear and
responsible manner. This history is open to public inspection in the
Linux-kernel archives and elsewhere, with numerous instances on record
of Linus Torvalds and others refusing code in circumstances where there
is reason to believe it might be compromised by third-party IP claims.

As software developers, intellectual property is our stock in trade.
Whether we elect to trade our effort for money or rewards of a subtler
and more enduring nature, we are instinctively respectful of concerns
about IP, credit, and provenance. Our licenses (the GPL and others) work
with copyright law, not against it. We reject your attempt to portray
our community as a howling wilderness of IP thieves as a baseless and
destructive smear.

We in the open-source community are accountable. Our source code is
public, exposed to scrutiny by anyone who wishes to contest its
ownership. Can SCO or any other closed-source vendor say the same? Who
knows what IP violations, what stripped copyrights, what stolen
techniques lurk in the depths of closed-source code? Indeed, not only
SCO's past representations that it was merging GPLed Linux technology
into SCO Unix but Judge Debevoise's rulings in the last big lawsuit on
Unix IP rights suggest strongly that SCO should clean up its own act
before daring to accuse others of theft.

SCO taxes IBM and others with failing to provide warranties or indemnify
users against third-party IP claims, conveniently neglecting to mention
that the warranties and indemnities offered by SCO and others such as
Microsoft are carefully worded so that the vendor's liability is limited
to the software purchase price, They thus offer no actual shield against
liability claims or damages. They are, in a word, shams designed to lull
users into a false sense of security -- a form of sham which we believe
you press on us solely as posturing, rather than out of any genuine
concern for users. We in the open-source community, and our corporate
allies, refuse to play that dishonest game.

You invite us to negotiate, but you have persistently refused to state a
negotiable claim. You have made allegations of a million lines of copied
code which are mathematically impossible given the known, publicly
accessible history of Linux development. You have uttered vast
conspiracy theories which fail to be vague only where they are
slanderous and insulting. You have already been compelled to abandon
major claims — such as the ownership of SMP technology alleged in your
original complaint against IBM — on showings that they were false, and
that you knew or should have known them to be false,

Accordingly, we of the open-source community do not concede that there
is anything to negotiate. Linux is our work and our lawful property, the
distillation of twelve years of hard work, idealism, creativity, tears,
joy, and sweat by hundreds of thousands of cooperating hackers all over
the world. It is not yours, has never been yours, and will never be yours.

If you wish to make a respectable case for contamination, show us the
code. Disclose the overlaps. Specify file by file and line by line which
code you believe to be infringing, and on what grounds. We will swiftly
meet our responsibilities under law, either removing the allegedly
infringing code or establishing that it entered Linux by routes which
foreclose proprietary claims.

Yours truly,
Eric Raymond
Bruce Perens