nettime's_MailRank[tm] on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:30:18 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> googological digest [hwang, douwe]

Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>
     Re: <nettime> googological digest [alexander, hwang]
<douwe@oberon.nl>
     Re: Google's Weapons of Mass Destruction

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:16:39 -0400
Subject: Re: <nettime> googological digest [alexander, hwang]
From: Francis Hwang <sera@fhwang.net>

Amy Alexander wrote:

> the thing to remember is that google hide behind pagerank as a neutral
> algorithm. no algorithm is neutral; they are written by people with
> opinions. results have the bias that humans write them to give.
> to bias the results, and thus bias culture, just tweak the
> algorithm.

Every once in a while, Google goes through what's called a "Google
dance", where they tweak PageRank and the rankings of all the indexed
pages move up and down. It's been the subject of a lot of speculation
-- why do they keep tweaking? -- but the explanations I've read make
perfect sense to me. It goes something like this:

1. Users want Google to return the most sensible search results for
their queries.
2. Webmasters of lower-ranked websites want their sites to be ranked as
high as possible. Accordingly, some of them will try to game Google
into giving them a higher ranking than they deserve, using their
theoretical understanding of PageRank.
3. When those webmasters succeed, they gain at the expense of users, so
Google intervenes to re-establish balance.

I don't think I've ever read anything anywhere to suggest that Google
hypes PageRank as a "neutral" algorithm. I see words like, say,
"democratic" on a page like http://www.google.com/technology/, but
then, democratic is hardly a neutral value. Google is social software,
in a sense. Because of its position it's subjected to the demands of
all sorts of people -- porn-site webmasters, bloggers, your uncle, etc.
-- and there is no perfect way to resolve all these tensions. Asking
for a neutral search engine algorithm is a fruitless endeavor, the
online equivalent of counting the number of angels on the head of a pin.

Clay Shirky's last essay "A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy"
(http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html) had an interesting thing
to say about social software: "People who work on social software are
closer in spirit to economists and political scientists than they are
to people making compilers." One of the implications of this is that
the decisions you have to make when designing such software are just as
political as technical. This applies quite well, I think, to Google.
PageRank is inherently political. That's not because Google is some
great overarching hegemony (yet). It's because Google's task --
prioritizing some webpages at the expense of others -- is an inherently
political task.

So there's some hugely dominant search engine out there, and its
decisions are subjective and political. Should we be nervous about
that? It doesn't really worry me. I can't imagine what an impartial
search engine would even look like. If it became political in a way
that it's search results were no longer useful, then I'd look for a
better one. Nobody's forcing you to use Google, you know.

Francis