human being on Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:06:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> fight WTC redevelopment by GOP [x2]

     [ digested @ nettime ]

human being <human@electronetwork.org>
     Re: <nettime> fight WTC redevelopment by GOP
human being <human@electronetwork.org>
     Re: <nettime> fight WTC redevelopment by GOP

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:53:02 -0500
Subject: Re: <nettime> fight WTC redevelopment by GOP
From: human being <human@electronetwork.org>

  This message regards a news story (now-- no longer online?)
  about the GOP convention in NYC and its relation to laying the
  cornerstone of the WTC redevelopment, in the timeframe of one
  week from the 3 year anniversary of 9/11 by the Republican Party
  and likely US President George W. Bush, and whether this is also
  known and accepted by the architect and developers, the city and
  state of New York, run by Republicans, and if this privatization of
  the symbolic rebuilding of the WTC is to be conducted, and to be
  exploited for symbolic, political, and monetary capital in this way.
  This message is sent to the city representatives, city hall, Studio
  Libeskind whose official comment on these matter is requested,
  and to the NY Times for further reporting on this story, and why it
  has apparently retracted its story on this issue. A public statement
  on the role of politics in relation to the redevelopment of the ground-
  zero site, in addition to the particular involvement on the GOP during
  the national convention would help clarify this issue out in advance
  so that a profanity is not spread into the most delicate of wounds,
  despoiling the intentions of the city, state, nation, and international
  community to rebuild and not live in ideologies of the 20th c. past.

> On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 12:20  PM, human being wrote:
>
>> Goal Is to Lay Cornerstone at Ground Zero During G.O.P. Convention
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/13/nyregion/13REBU.html>
>
> If you go to that URL now, the headline is "Officials Plan Speedy
> Ground Zero Environmental Review", and the piece doesn't seem to say
> anything about the convention. But if you Google or Google-News the
> headline, you get a search result. Looks like the NYT changed this
> story last-minute. Anybody have a copy of what was originally written?
>
> F.

  I don't have a copy, unfortunately, but within hours of writing
  about it online (and calling for impeachment of the Mayor
  and Governor) got hits from a subdomain of nyc.gov which
  is connected with the Mayor's office. Have been weighing
  whether to contact architect Daniel Libeskind for official
  statement and position on the Republican Convention and
  the laying of the (symbolic) cornerstone of redevelopment
  by a private political force, and what exactly the politics of
  the architect are in relation to this exploitation of 9/11. In
  addition, while this may appear to be an abstract symbolism
  and may not resonate widely, it is also an unstoppable force
  if not resisted, to take total control over the interpretation of
  events on 9/11 and the WTC redevelopment, war in Iraq
  based on this, the role of patriotism and republicanism as
  americanism. The "free" press is failing to report the stories,
  or to consider their weight with regard to current, vital affairs.
  In relation to architecture, this is equivalent to an act of treason
  and it must be known what the plans are, through the city and
  state, for the Republicans and Ground-Zero ceremonies such
  as laying the cornerstone on the 'freedom tower', including the
  role of the architect, and how political control of GZ and 9/11
  can be unreported, even retracted, -- what are the facts???

archive of original post at:

http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0306/msg00073.html