John von Seggern on Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:07:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: Is nettime MEDIA-FASCIST??

Newmedia@aol.com wrote:

>>Non-mass media?
>>

>Excellent!!  Now . . . what does that mean??

To me it means the decentralization of control.

>Is the Internet (or, more particularly, nettime) -- a "non-mass medium"??

The Internet, yes. As for nettime it is looking increasingly
old-fashioned to me these days...as numerous posters have pointed out
recently, there are many more sophisticated interfaces for online
community interaction these days that could address some of the issues
the moderation process was originally supposed to solve. Nettime seems
to be overly dominated by the particular interests of its moderators and
for me it has lost a great deal of its value as a forum. When are we
going to move to something new? Is there any desire on the part of this
community to keep exploring new communication technologies and network
topologies? Or are we going to stay stuck in a mid-90s paradigm of a
moderated listserv?

Actually I have no problem with listservs, but this one seems to have
gotten stuck in a rut...time for a change I think.

>As we all know, new mediums usually try to "mirror" (in the rearview sense)
>previous mediums.  McLuhan would have pointed out that OLD MEDIA is always the
>CONTENT of NEW MEDIA -- in the beginning.

Yes, but if we want to know the reality of what is really going on now,
I think it's more fruitful to have a look at the actual developing
situation around us rather than quoting McLuhan and raving on about
fascist radio and people exposing themselves online.

In reality, there are any number of examples of functioning communities
on the Internet which are using the decentralized structure of the Net
to share information and organize themselves in fundamentally new ways
which owe little or nothing to old-media models like radio. How about
MoveOn.org for starters, which having organized itself around the issue
of opposition to the Iraq War is now engaged in an electronic democracy
exercise of letting its 1.7million+ members collectively choose which
issues they want to take on next?

These kinds of new media-based phenomena are the main focus of my own
ethnomusicology research...here's a link to a paper I wrote in 2001 on
the use of the Net by Chinese dance music communities for example:

http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com/newsite/jvs_papers/netfxinchina.htm

John

--
John von Seggern

producer - DJ - researcher

email  <johnvon at digitalcutuplounge dot com>
bio    <http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com/newsite/jvsremix.htm>
home   <http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com>
school <http://ethnomus.ucr.edu/jvs/bio.html>