nettime's_thermodynamic_principle on Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:43:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> everything that sinks must converge digest [newmedia, desrenards, cpaul, porculus, ctgr-pavu, bobig]

Newmedia@aol.com
     Re: <nettime> Fascism in the USA?
Louise Desrenards <louise.desrenards@free.fr>
     At last: Russian D Day announced
cpaul <inc@fastmedia.net>
     death and consolidation for the 21st century
"porculus" <porculus@wanadoo.fr>
     Re: <nettime> whatever Nettime is, is alive
"ctgr-pavu.com" <ctgr@free.fr>
     Re: <nettime> whatever Nettime is, is alive
"bobig" <bobig@bobig.com>
     Re: <nettime> whatever Nettime is, is alive

From: Newmedia@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:15:47 EDT
Subject: Re: <nettime> Fascism in the USA?

Kermit:

Nice touch . . . throwing in Wyndham Lewis!!  HA!!

Social Psychology (Margaret Mead, Tavistock, etc.) in general and the
Frankfurterite (i.e. Adorno/Horkheimer's) "The Authoritarian Personality"
(1950) in particular are all devoted to the use of MEDIA to eliminate
HUMAN choice -- thus eliminating *nasty* HUMANITY.

Of course . . . for its own GOOD!!

Fascism (of the mind) was re-tooled by the Bolsheviks and broadcast in
PRIMETIME!!

This is the topic of "insider" Bert Gross' "Friendly Fascism" as well as
Chris Simpon's "The Science of Coercion" and much of the work of Marshall
McLuhan (who was, afterall, a "protege" of Lewis.)

"To that argument no answer was given, for there is no answer."

Not in the 20th CENTURY there wasn't!!  It was all about the "The Art of
Being Ruled" . . . by the MEDIA ENVIRONMENT.

Television CONSUMED the "Press, Wireless, Cinema" and gave us all
"Christianity for the Non-Christians" -- along with tranquilizers,
psychedelics and anti-depressants, not to mention autism, ADHD, diabetes
and EXTREME everything.

Can anyone answer that argument now?

How do you ARGUE with television?

Ah, but we are no longer in the 20th century.  This President doesn't watch
television.  And, he's a Methodist, not a "fascist."

What *is* happening . . . NOW??  Or, to put it in terms Wyndham Lewis would
understand, just which TIME is this anyway??

The idea that you could "oppose" what you observe by appealling to PROPAGANDA
of the past (i.e. the mass-media induced reaction to the word "fascism") is
LUDICROUS!!

Fascism (of the mind) *is* precisely this use of MASS-MEDIA and the
subliminal deployment of its JINGLES and BRAND-NAMES.

Modern "fascism" is (the form of) TELEVISION.

So, how *do* you ARGUE with television?  How do you *argue* with FASCISM?

With new media,

Mark Stahlman
New York City