Andrew Thompson on Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:30:14 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> After Rhizome

AFTER RHIZOME  [the website]

Is a website that was started after Mark Tribe from Rhizome unfolded
his plans of world domination of all net.art resources at deaf03.
It offers several good reasons why not to invest sweat, time and money
in the net.art portal Rhizome.
Also it will give critical reviews of websites that offer the same or
even better content that Rhizome nowadays offers for money.

http://www34.brinkster.com/afterrhizome

AFTER RHIZOME [questions & answers]

Why pay $5.00 and become part of a "community" where some are less equal
than others?
Examples: As member of the the non- profit organization Rhizome Mark
Tribe paid himself $47,260 in 2000, Alex Galloway was paid $36,692 (and
he is listed as a part time employee) source:
http://www.rhizome.org/info/Rhizome_2000_990.pdf. In the "some are less
equal than others strategy" of Rhizome, some people are paid money for
writing some lines (the German critic Tilman Baumgärtel for instance was
paid several times for small parts of text), while die- hard Rhizome
contributors till so far never saw a penny. In fact it's even worse,
because this people nowadays even have to pay $5.00 to continue
contributing.

Why pay $5.00 and become part of a "community" that takes all the rights
of what you post or submit and doesn't even have to inform you what they
do with your material? An example: You posted several mails in which you
explained your ideas to the Rhizome mailinglist as part of a discussion.
Six years later Rhizome is asked to publish a book and they decide to
include your material. According to the Rhizome Membership Agreement,
they don't have to ask you for permission to put your old ideas in the
book, also they don't have to pay you anything for your text although
they might get a lot of money for it, even worse they even don't have to
inform you that you are in the book. One look at the Rhizome.org Member
Agreement and you see it's even worse than Microsoft's. Here is a quote
of the most terrifying part: "You grant Rhizome.org a non-exclusive,
worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license to: (i) store Your Content on
Rhizome.org's servers; (ii) distribute Your Content on the Rhizome.org
web site and through email lists; and (iii) reproduce, publish, perform,
display, adapt, distribute or otherwise make available Your Content in
web sites, books, CD-ROMs or any other form or medium whatsoever,
whether now known or as may hereafter be developed." ¹
Read the Rhizome.org Member Agreement in full:
http://www.rhizome.org/info/29.php

Why pay $5.00 and become part of a "community" which is used as a
shameless career vehicle by it's crew members (Mark Tribe/ Alex
Galloway)? Example: For years the projects of Mark Tribe and Alex
Galloway were the only fixed items on Rhizome's frontpage. Also Rhizome
correspondence was used for self promotion and all net.projects in which
one of them was involved were always covered in Rhizome's digest, a
weekly newsletter about net.art and related subject with over 6000
subscribers.

Why pay $5.00 when you can get the same or more information elsewhere on
the net for free?
Find all alternatives at: http://www34.brinkster.com/afterrhizome/

After Rhizome [Rhizome's only fair argument]

Rhizome's only fair argument for asking money is expansion. You can
ofcourse argue why community members have to pay for expansion while
there's also a lot of funding money and there were also always a lot of
gifts. You can also doubt what benefits the community has from a lot of
these new services, as for example who needs rhizome.net webspace? But
shouldn't we in the first place know if and why this expansion is
needed. The expansion argument looks to me like an argument that is used
by multinationals that only are focused on the growth rates to satisfy
their shareholders, but Rhizome has no shareholders... And there we have
possible the weak spot. It looks like the Rhizome crew lost contact not
with it's shareholders but with it's roots, and growth became a goal in
itself, and now the crew is pushing forward without any self criticism
or open to any criticism by others. An example of this is the $ 5.00
contribution. Though it was announced and it looked like there would be
an open debate, the community never had a real vote in the $5.00 issue.
Very reasonable suggestions as for example free access for people who
had submitted projects to the artbase never were seriously considered if
you ask my opinion. The Rhizome crew just pushed all things through
without really listening. Alternatives like concentrating on one or 2
activities were never even considered seriously, instead Rhizome began
more and more to act like a monopolist that wants to incorporate
everything from artbase to the net.art courses and from mailinglist to
internet provider because others could maybe get this marketshare.
Rhizome is only acceptable to me when there's a reasonable Member
Agreement and not some kind of license, when contributors are somehow
equally rewarded, when there's a clear structure and no entangled
interests between the people that manage Rhizome that are at the same
time artists that use the organization for self- promotion. I believe
that Rhizome could have gone other ways and serve the net.art community
better without the Member Agreement, services nobody is waiting for and
5 bucks rule for everybody. Though the points I just touched could be
easily changed I have my doubts they ever will, just because the plans
Rhizome made in the past never changed. Just to prove this point I want
to point to the standard strategy Rhizome's voice Mark Tribe always
adopts, he is always playing the card the he listens, always expresses
concern and last but not least his standard answer is "we will look into
it". What means ofcourse he doesn't. This strategy of fake involvement
is not only my personal experience but can also be checked in archives
of several mailinglists like nettime. Just one example is of the
net.artist META that forwarded his email "correspondence"² with Mark
Tribe to several mailinglists to open a discussion. The last emails from
this correspondence confirms the fake involvement and the always well
known answer that Mark Tribe has ready: "it sounds like it might be a
good idea, we will look at it", what in fact means end of discussion.
But enough of this, let's look at all the alternatives, that are free,
plenty and sometimes offer an even a better quality.

Vladimir Kovacevic, march 6 2003
afterrhizome@yahoo.com

notes:
¹ http://www34.brinkster.com/afterrhizome/membership.htm