Keith Sanborn on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:33:43 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> the ugly american

The ugly american.

For those of you who might not realize that over a million
people--including several artists--were in the street in New York
AGAINST the Bush plan to make war on Iraq, I'd like to relate what is
actually a true story. I am personally acquainted with the people
involved.

A friend's mother, who is a native new yorker, was given the wrong
drug recently and was in a coma for 4 days. Fortunately they realized
it in time and she was brought out of it. They ran an MRI and things
looked good, but they wanted to verify that the woman had not lost
cognitive skills. The doctor asked her:

"What year is it?"

"2003" the woman answered.

"What month is it?"

"February."

"Who is the President"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

I hope this translates. Or as one of André Bréton's correspondents
famously put it: "Rien ne vous tue un homme comme de l'obliger de
representer un pays."

Keith Sanborn