nettime's_rejection_letter on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:37:35 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> film awards politicized! film at 11 [digest: wood, bowman]

Re: <nettime> Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences sez: Pa
     David Wood <D.F.J.Wood@newcastle.ac.uk>
     "Brice Bowman" <brice@bricebowman.com>

From: David Wood <D.F.J.Wood@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences sez: Pa
	lestine's not a country
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:15:59 -0000

> Sadly, the academy's refusal to consider Divine Intervention shows
> that it is far from being an impartial, apolitical body. Although
> Hollywood is no stranger to world events and free speech, controversy
> at the Oscars should never include such censorship.

It's not just the Oscars are 'far from impartial'. Thet,and most other major
awards (like the British BAFTAS) is blatantly racist and nationalist. The
finest film of the year IMHO is Ciudad de Deus (City of God), a wonderful
Brazilian film about the child gangsof the Rio favellas. Sure, it and many
other wonderful films from the non-white majority of the world might get
recognition in the ghetto of 'Best Foreign Film', but are unlikely even even
to be considered for nomination for 'Best Film'...

Just go see these films, and support the cinemas that show them. As
Leftfield and John Lydon said: "Burn, Hollywood, Burn!"

Dr David Wood
Managing Editor
Surveillance & Society

www.surveillance-and-society.org