nettime's suv driver on Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:32:50 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: One Day Left

Table of Contents:

   re: one day left
     Economy Car <economycar2003@yahoo.com>

   Re: <nettime> Re: One Day Left
     Steven W <primeweevil@shaw.ca>

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:53:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Economy Car <economycar2003@yahoo.com>
Subject: re: one day left

As an academic, neither I, nor anyone I work with, drives an SUV (for a
variety of reasons).

It is absolutely true that I have spent more than $5 on other arts
subscriptions, including my local struggling museum, from which I arguably
get a lot less back than I have from Rhizome. It's not a lot of money to
ask.

However, as you state, it is not 1995 it is 2003. The net and net.art
communities have increasingly over the years become elitist and we see the
same names over and over again being published, commissioned, and
validated. All of this happens even while all of these folks continue to
profess the democratic, equal access, non-hierarchical aspects of this
culture. So, while $5 is not a lot to me (even if I do drive an economy
car), I will not join Rhizome for that amount because I believe this step
will take that list one step further on its path to being a rarefied club.
It will mean that I can no longer freely ask my students to look at an
article or a project in the artbase, nor refer things to friends who might
not subscribe but might otherwise have a look.

I donate regularly to pursuits that are grass roots, that I believe in,
and that I know are run on a shoe string (most recently being Michael
Mandiberg's excellent Calls and Opps List). Rhizome is just not on that
list in my mind.

Good luck to Rhizome, I hope they don't fold and I wish them a long
future, without me.