Steve Cisler on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:31:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Maps for the Outside

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 03:32  AM, Brian Holmes wrote:

> [Those of you who were at the No Border camp in Strasbourg last
> summer, or at the Hub in Florence during the ESF, probably received a
> copy of the maps made by Bureau d'Etudes with collaboration from
> several others (including myself). You can find one example at
> http://utangente.free.fr/index2.html.

I heard Brian's interesting talk at World InfoCon (my report's coming
in a few days) and highly recommend the maps for several reasons:
-the mapping is an important social technique whether they are radical
activists, street kids learning about their neighborhoods, or urban
planners taking a new look at social and political forces in a
municipality;
- the physical printed map is an important artifact that's very useful
for small groups meeting at a kitchen table or on a street corner or in
places where no LCD projector is available (i.e. most of the world)
-for personal viewing the electronic version might be better. You can
increase the font size and overcome some of the color backgrounds that
make it hard to read on paper.

Anyone else interested in different kinds of mapping projects?

Steve Cisler